Surface Plate Help.....

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So it would appear from my Google searches that there is literally nobody in Canada who can/will come to your location and recondition/resurface your surface plate. I watch video after video of people in the US getting their plates done..... does anyone know of a Canadian (Ontario) individual or company who provides this service.

Just to address the anticipated comments, I don’t care if it is cheaper to just buy another surface plate, I really like my Starrett 24 x 36 x 4 and I want to have it resurfaced.

Any help would be appreciated. Too, if anyone knows of someone who would come up and do it, from Ohio, Buffalo area, Niagara Falls NY, Rochester etc, I’m in Hamilton Ontario and May be able to find some others who would like their plates done as well.

Regards all.

Derek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It would probably have to be done as a hobbyist helping other hobbyists rather than a commercial enterprise.

I have been north several times for "work" and I was officially only allowed to supervise Canadian workers while they did the actual work. Not a bad system at all, and I'm sure that it could work out for a US company that was willing to go through the paperwork to show that the service was needed and not being provided by local workers. But, for practical reasons you'd probably have to pay for it in beer....

Hope you find someone soon.

Cheers,

John

I’ve hired Americans in the past to come up to do work (instructional seminars) where I’ve been able to show that there is no “reasonable” opportunity for a Canadian to do the work. If there is nobody in Ontario doing the work, I can reasonably argue (and would be willing to do so) that having someone from the states is my only option. I’m an airline pilot by trade, so flying someone in is another option..... any takers?

Take your plate to someone in the states, easier and cheaper.

The plate weighs 400+ lbs and is in my basement shop..... not easier. Gotta get someone to come here. It just doesn’t make any sense that there is nobody in Canada doing this when there are SO many in the US doing so. I must be missing something, which is what has prompted this thread.

I'm sure you are aware, but them coming to you is an added expense. I went through a similar dilemma when I wanted to have my plate checked. My CI plate is around 22" x 33". I ended up calling around until I found a business several hours away.
This was the company that I was going to use. A quick Google map search shows a 7-hour drive to your location. I'm not sure if that helps you or not. Just trying to throw one option out there. Did I ever get it checked? Nope, the "boss" said I already spent enough money on my toys and she wanted to save for our next family vacation.:)

Consider this too, you could do a little Craigslist shopping beforehand and dredge up some machine tools along your route of travel.

Tom Lipton and Keith Rucker on You Tube show how it is done I believe. Keith showed it being done by a pro and had to delete it as that company said he was showing a trade and they didn't want to share. I would suggest you email them and ask them. Send me a Private message and I'll givr you their email addresses. I have watched it done and the tech used electronic levels that probably cost $10,000.00. John Saunders and Keith also made a Repeto-Meter...http://www.tru-stone.com/pages/smp.asp

Back