Survey On Which Dro You Installed On Your Pm-1340gt Lathe.

I might look at adding a tool chest to the center area but I'll measure the lathe when it arrives and decide from there.

This is exactly what I am going to do this winter, add a toolbox/drawer section under the lathe and between the side cabinets. There is a lot of wasted space there. I have been keeping an eye out for a suitable drawer/toolbox but so far no luck finding anything used. When I finally get around to having some time and if I haven't found anything used, I will just have to bite the bullet and purchase a box that fits and then build a framework that will also tie the cabinets together as well as house the drawers.

Mike.

Mike, first thank you for review of PM-1340 lathe. I was very impressed with your tool storage and now the idea for a cabinet under. Second, your suggestion for using 3 phase.

Chris

Chris, this is how the stand turned out. I used a Harbor Freight 44" top box for storage.
lathe setup6.JPG

Sandman,

Did you order the 1340GT without the stand?

Thanks for
Chris, this is how the stand turned out. I used a Harbor Freight 44" top box for storage.
View attachment 128140
Great use of space. I know that people poo poo Harbor Freight but I have found their tool cabinets to be pretty good without going crazy. I have one of their rolling 5 drawer tool carts next to my mill and 3 rolling stacks around the garage.

Do you know if you can order that lathe without the stand? I like the stand you made. Never had any use for those two cabinets on the sides.

Chris

PS. Ordered a H-F coupon off eBay. Took that 5 drawer from $200 down to $160. Coupon cost $2.00.

I believe you can order the lathe without the stand. Just call Matt and ask.

I think the 44" cabinets are one of the best HF tools you can buy. I will buy very few items from HF but this one is a winner. I also have the bottom box which holds my mill tooling and measuring tools. I plan on making a table on casters that has the bottom box built into it. I typically have the table (current configuration without tool box) setup opposite the lathe and use it as a work surface. It's very handy when working on the lathe but I tend to move it around and it doesn't have wheels so it really needs a redesign.

The 20% coupons can't be used on the tool boxes, stated in the fine print. I have heard of people getting away with using them but every time I've tried they said no way. Maybe just that my local HF store sticks to the "letter of the law".

I agree that these are a good buy. Lowe's has good ones too but I'm a bit of a snob about tool chests (but not rich enough for Snap-on or Matco). I generally pull the drawer all the way out and then push the drawer left and right looking at the slop. For the money you can't beat H-F but I've also come across dented chests when the box wasn't hurt. Buyer beware and open the box there.

This is the Rolling box I use with my mill: http://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-drawer-glossy-red-tool-cart-61427.html You're right about coupons and the tool chests but they have super coupons on some. Here one on eBay for $0.99 for this chest that brings it down to $169.00 .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/169-99-HARB...077849?hash=item41a6309c59:g:QlkAAOSwAuNW4aOh

You have to look for the specific item. They also have coupons for the black chests.

Chris

Back