Tap Size for M5 Steel Bolts

My father, for all his faults, could switch between metric and imperial, for pretty much any unit, at the drop of a hat.

It was pretty impressive to see him mentally convert something like 19/64" to mm in a few seconds.

He always said they were just numbers, nothing to get uptight about.

Shame he considered being involved in the emotional health of his kids about as important as a preference for the two measurement systems. :dunno: :grin:

OK, how many gallons in a cube 1.33 X 2.45 X 5.75".
If those were centimeters any grade school kid (in Germany) could tell you how many liters there were.
None, that size container is much smaller than a gallon.

What do I win?

I grew up imperial system. I started using metric in my work. It is now my preferred system. Units of ten in everything. Lineal & volumetric easily converted. Threading: nominal size minus the pitch gives tap drill size. Learn to think in it instead of trying to convert. 50 years ago this country almost went metric. Stupid politicians stopped it. The origin of the 2 liter plastic Coke bottles.
And the 750, 1 liter and 1.75 liquor and wine bottles. You'd think that would be enough to get the ball rolling.

Most people I know do not worry about which size of bottle to buy. They just walk in and say "Do You have anything bigger?";)

Back