Thank you all!

andrewgr

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Late last night, I turned a brass rod down to size on my lathe. It is gorgeous. I know brass is forgiving, but my first attempts looked like I had tried to make the cut using a garbage disposal.

There is a long list of things I've needed to learn in between getting the lathe delivered and being able to make that cut. Some of them, I've been able to teach myself, mostly from Youtube, sometimes from a book or manual. But there are more than a few things I've learned only because someone on the PM sub-forum has taken the time to answer my neophyte questions. In almost all cases, I've received an answer within an hour or two.

So, I want to thank all of you. I deeply appreciate the help and encouragement. My wife is in a Covid "at-risk" category, and we've been very isolated since late February of 2020, so I'm grateful for any sense of community I can experience online. The Hobby Machinist forums in general, and the Precision Matthews sub-forum in particular, have made me feel like I belong, and that I'm in this journey together with all of you. That's no small feat, and I don't take it for granted.

Truly, thank you everyone!

I find brass a somewhat interesting metal to cut, not that I've done much of it. If you have a piece of 6061 T6 you might have a bit more success. Or at least I did. Have fun with that thing, and remember. This rabbit hole is as deep as you want it to be. :)

Pics or it didn't happen :D
I didn't take a picture before I used some scrotch-brite, but here's the after:

brass.jpg

Back