VN The Van Norman 2nd Floor Challenge

TomKro

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
There's been a lot of Van Norman rehab threads just lately, so I thought I'd throw this in the mix.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/tls/5111698673.html

I went to see a small shaper at this location a few weeks ago. Those big old Van Norman's are on the second floor of an old textile factory. If you happen to have a big forklift, some heavy duty rollers, a portable gantry, a nice trailer and a few helpful friends you can get some genuine American iron real cheap. Seller wants $300.

I believe this fellow is trying to get these things out of his building, but maybe someone can talk him into selling parts.

Here's some pics:
VN 22L Baltimore CL small.png 2nd VN Baltimore small.png

These Van Norman's are really impressive. I hope someone can put them to good use.

TomKro

TomKro,

If I had all those things.......plus one more; being closer, I would be very interested.
I hope someone has the will and ability to save those beautiful machines!

Thanks for posting.

-brino

TomKro,

If I had all those things.......plus one more; being closer, I would be very interested.
I hope someone has the will and ability to save those beautiful machines!

Thanks for posting.

-brino
Two 22Ls. At that price, it might be worth hiring a rigger to get them on your trailer.

Cal

Too far for me, could be a simple or extremely difficult (costly) project.

Jason

When I visited, I was able to get a small shaper and a nice engine hoist at a good price. The seller was just trying to clear the place out.
Where the sunshine is coming in on the first pic, there's a wide second floor opening, and an I beam with a chain hoist - but nothing big enough to hold one of those machines. Lots of trash and loose metal below - felt lucky I didn't puncture a tire on the trailer.
The add caught my attention because I had just been pricing out steel bar, and I'm pretty sure one of those overarm support bars would cost more than $300 if you tried to buy it new.
Hopefully, someone will at least get some usable parts.
TomKro

I would rent a reach type forklift, properly rated. If you can get the machine to the door, it would reach in and grab it. Even a regular forklift would probably do it, depends if you could put the mast right next to the building, one rated at around 8-10,000 lbs, with a triple mast. You would just have to slide the machine onto the forks. I suspect those machines weigh around 5000 lbs.

Back