There was a HUGE bang the other night

pdentrem

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
There was a HUGE bang the other night, about 5 am. It sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun went off by the bedroom window. I took a look around and found nothing. Even the neighbor from up the street heard it. He was just pulling up to the corner on the way to work and he stopped as well but nothing.

Well, the other day I was going to use the wheel barrow and found this. I had been using the barrow to move mud around the base of the new pad for the shop and had left it by the trash cans which are close to the bedroom.

It will not hold air anymore and I cannot figure out why.:p
Should have replaced it 10 years ago but it is no good anymore. Likely no warranty either!
wheel-barrow-tire.jpg

wheel-barrow-tire.jpg

Bang in the night

I hate it when things go bang in the night!

Benny

PD.
Sure glad you werent standing close by when it went!!! I used to manage a lawn maintenance company and we would always get flats, so I sent the tires out to get foam filled. Never had a flat again. Once they wore to the point of being unusable a hack saw would remove them and then you could start over. Usually the tires outlasted two or three sets of handles and at least two tubs. Fertilizer is murder on the metal, especially when the help doesn't rinse them to get the stuff off. Worked equally as good on skid steer tires too.
Bob

bob
i'm with him.
making the tire last 10 years.
just common sense, which is not very common anymore.:)
he's not going to spend $3.50 for a can of (i can't even say it)
at walmart.
i'm sticking to my position.
long time ago a tire guy said they hate that stuff
because when they go to change a tire it's all sticky
and gets all over everything.

Have A Nice Day!

Quick word of caution. Fix a flat can be deadly. Some vendors use a flamable propelent on there product. If you are welding or cutting nearby when one is broken down it can get ugly quick. Also the slime products are a PITA to get off and clean the rubber so a patch will stick. I reccomend against the use of both since they also promote wheel and rim corrosion and will cause chrome rims to develope bead leaks constantly. When I worked for Firestone/Bridgestone we charged extra to remove the mess and would not warrant a tire filled with the stuff either for manufacturer warranty or repair warranty. Just to hard to deal with.
Bob

Last edited:
There was a HUGE bang the other night, about 5 am. It sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun went off by the bedroom window. I took a look around and found nothing. Even the neighbor from up the street heard it. He was just pulling up to the corner on the way to work and he stopped as well but nothing.

Well, the other day I was going to use the wheel barrow and found this. I had been using the barrow to move mud around the base of the new pad for the shop and had left it by the trash cans which are close to the bedroom.

View attachment 33370

Had a similar experience when I was a teenager and worked in a service station. One afternoon I fixed a flat for a customer. It was an old worn out tire that I would have replaced but the customer said it was only for a trailer to haul trash, not worth the expense of a new tire, so the customer left it to be fixed. The next morning I was opening the roll-up door of the shop bay when the sunlight streamed in there was an explosion and the tire wobbled away from the wall where it had been leaning. The boss came running to the shop, the people from next door came running from their business, some thought it was an explosion, some thought someone was shooting a shotgun. Meanwhile, I was standing there with my finger on the button to open the roll-up door and I'm sure I had a "deer-in-the-headlights" look on my face.

The outcome was much the same as your picture--a huge hole in the tread and sidewall area of the tire. To this day, I can't believe that it didn't explode while in use.

I'd be willing to bet that a field mouse or rat took it's last breath when it nibbled on that tire.

Ray

It will not hold air anymore and I cannot figure out why.:p
Should have replaced it 10 years ago but it is no good anymore. Likely no warranty either!
View attachment 33370

Hey man it's nuthin a little duct tape wont fix....

Back