Thin adhesive film to print on?

WobblyHand

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The last time I made a non-trivial part, I printed the CAD drawing 1:1 and taped it onto the part I was trying to make. This allowed me to fairly accurately locate the centers of the holes and counterbores I needed to machine. In addition it was annotated with hole sizes. It was really handy when I was in the shop, especially when I had to make right handed and left handed parts. The paper, however, didn't hold up to the oil needed for machining.

Is there a thin relatively oil impervious adhesive film I could laser print on? What is it called? Any links?

I would google "laser transparency" or "laser transparent film" or similar. You probably will have to spray the printed side with some sort of spray varnish or sealer though. From memory, the laser printing on some of the films I've used doesn't hold up well by itself. I've had some good luck with it though for the same use you have in mind but I only needed to lay out a few pieces dry. The accuracy was good though once I got the scaling set right for the particular printer. I think I ended up using 102% or 99% to eek out the exact dimensions.

Look for Avery 3482 Transparent self-adhesive films or similar. Might work for your application.

Back