Thin Rod & Tube Straighteners

jdrhinehart

Registered
Registered
I am not a machinist, but am sure someone here can help me. I need ideas for straightening a thin rod and the small tubing it slides into. It is an artificial insemination syringe (aka “AI gun” or “AI rod”; see attached pictures). The stylette bends and the resulting friction makes it difficult plunge all the way into the tube. If it crimps, it is nearly impossible to use.

Does anyone have recommendations for straightening these on a regular basis? It would also be great to be able to straighten the tube component as it becomes bowed over time.

Many thanks!293174293176293178293180

Just brainstorming here but maybe a simple 3 wheel straightening jig using some cheap skate bearings mounted to some plywood or frame material of your choosing and a few nuts, bolts and screws maybe a spring or 2 (depending on your design). You must have the center bearing adjustable in some way to allow for depth of correction but that should be easy enough to do. And it should all be small enough to take wherever it's needed to straighten as many as needed. At least in theory it will, lol.

Something of this nature. (Sorry about my Awesome artistic skills but Im sure you get my meaning) 20190421_225221.jpg

Last edited:
Just brainstorming here but maybe a simple 3 wheel straightening jig using some cheap skate bearings mounted to some plywood or frame material of your choosing and a few nuts, bolts and screws maybe a spring or 2 (depending on your design). You must have the center bearing adjustable in some way to allow for depth of correction but that should be easy enough to do. And it should all be small enough to take wherever it's needed to straighten as many as needed. At least in theory it will, lol.

Something od this nature. View attachment 293188
Thanks! That seems simple enough and worth giving it a try. Do you know of something like this that’s commercially available for a small diameter? I don’t have a caliper, but downloaded a caliper app to get an idea and the stylette diameter is about 1.7 mm

I forgot to add diameter. I don’t have a caliper, but downloaded a caliper app to get an idea and the stylette diameter is about 1.7 mm

No unfortunately not something of this size, sorry. You may even be better off using a hole saw to cut out 3 wood plugs to use instead of bearings so that you could easily cut half circular relief grooves to keep the tube walls from being damaged.

Roll the tube between two pieces of glass or on a surface plate under a piece of glass or some flat material.

Ive seen off the shelf wire straightners used to straighten fishing wire traces,usually piano wire .Would that not work?

T Bredehoft's method works very good and fast, I have done this using a smooth board and a flat smooth table it.
It also works good for wire.

Back