Thinking outside the storage box

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
This picture shows my dilemma.

20220806_145218.jpg

The six organizers on the right represent my button head and flat head cap screws from 4-40 to 3/8-16. This shelf is five and a half feet off the floor above my work bench. The bottom three are freakin heavy. If I need to grab a 3/8" Flat head screw I have a serious load to move to get to it.

These are the three big organizers.

20220727_120120.jpg

Today I was planning on setting up a steel wire shelf below my work bench with 5 shelves spaced about 3" apart, but as high as possible. It would have worked but it would have meant bending over to drag out the heavy organizers. The project would have cost $80 plus gas to go and buy the shelf to cut down to fit the available space.

Then about 8 pm I had an idea. I could clear a section of the storage shelves next to my work bench and modify an old steel shelf I had in the basement to fit in the 32" space on the big shelf.

20220806_224259.jpg

Best part is that it's free! Much more rigid than it was set up normally holding junk in the basement. I considered tossing it in the garbage.

20220806_224150.jpg

Now the organizers are stacked no more than 2 high. I was able to put some really heavy bolts underneath and get them off my high shelf. All the organizers on the shelves are button head and flat head in SAE on the left and Metric on the right.

They will all be clearly labeled Monday when my labels come in. Walmart wanted $18 for two rolls now. They used to be $7 or $8.

The purple bins along the edge of the shelf are SAE nuts and washers.

Last edited:
That looks good! I had a similar but smaller problem, and thought if I hadca bunch of drawers it would help. So a xero dollar solution, literally.was to chop up some scrap 1/8” Masonite, rip some sticks up, and make up a bunch of drawers. A simple frame with dadoed grooves holds everything. They slide well, hold heavy stuff like 123 blocks, lathe tools, carbide end mills, etc. Just an idea that worked out pretty nicely for me.
With felt and labels, which came after I took the pictures, I can find things a bit easier.

A9F026D7-F629-4915-A988-E2C31C751BEE.jpegBAE5A774-B5DB-470D-BB39-B648C889B7C9.jpeg

How deep are the drawers? I am in the process of designing a set of drawers to go under the lathe. I have so limited space that I am trying to eliminate a rolling cabinet that holds my measuring stuff, tool holders, drills and mills and taps and dies.

This is a copy of what I posted over on the Garage Journal Repurposing Thread. Not exactly the same issues as the OP, but food for thought.

I ended up with 12 Kar Products and Lawson Products assortments from a retired mobile mechanic. He kept them piled on shelves in his truck, so they didn't come with the racks. I have hated unstacking them to get at the one I need, so when I saw an old airline meal rack for sale on Craigslist, I checked it out. It was a little too narrow to hold the boxes the normal direction, but by putting them in the long way, there is plenty of room to put a small assortment or two next to each one.

I figured out that the optimum shelf size was 1/2" thick, and was able to make all the shelves I needed from fall-down from old projects. I'd hate to buy the plywood at today's prices! I added a full-depth shelf from 3/4" plywood at waist height to pull out and set the box I'm working with on. I had to bevel the edges of the 3/4" to get it to slide properly, but it does with no slop.

I had to relabel the assortments on the ends because the regular markings aren't visible. Now, I open the door and can see what I want, pull out the shelf, pull the kit and place it on the shelf, open the lid, and pick the part!

Best of all, it is on wheels and rolls easily, even when fully loaded.

Attachments​

• Airline Locker Contents.jpg
    Airline Locker Contents.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 148
  • Airline Locker Front View.jpg
    Airline Locker Front View.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Airline Locker Open.jpg
    Airline Locker Open.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Airline Locker Side View.jpg
    Airline Locker Side View.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Airline Locker Sorting Shelf.jpg
    Airline Locker Sorting Shelf.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 118

How deep are the drawers? I am in the process of designing a set of drawers to go under the lathe. I have so limited space that I am trying to eliminate a rolling cabinet that holds my measuring stuff, tool holders, drills and mills and taps and dies.
If you’re referring to my wood drawers, they are the same as measured on my various Kennedy and similar tool boxes, the more or less medium sized ones. The dadoed grooves are on 1.75” centers. I might build a 2 high drawer or two, but now I have plenty of room in the Kennedy boxes.

Thanks for the info. 1.75" on center would give a drawer depth of around 1.625."

They don't make drawers to hold all my junk ! :) I start organizing with good intentions and usually just throw in the towel , and head to the scrapper . I've tried flat rate boxes , HF organizers , MSC organizers , Home Depot 5 gallon buckets , roll arounds and Vidmars . Bottom line is I'm a hoarder I guess . I'll need everything " one day " . :rolleyes: :grin:

I have to say I was not enjoying lifting those heavy flat organizers to retrieve bolts. It always seems I need something from the bottom of the two stacked organizers. I'm always worried about dropping one.

Walmart is selling these Hyper Tough small parts organizers for the pricey sum of $20 each.

20221022_174824.jpg

They stack up about 15" tall. You can pull an individual drawer without fear of dumping anything but a small fraction of the screws in the organizer. The drawers are small but much bigger than the old small drawer organizers.

These drawers hold all my fractional button heads from 4-40 to 3/8-16, metric from M5 to M10 and Flat head cap screws from 4-40 to 5/16-18. These drawers run out of room for bigger screws.

These other organizers are my cap screws up to 10mm and 3/8". 20221022_154621.jpg

20221022_154656.jpg

Drawers definitely beat flat organizers for stuff you need to grab all the time. I didn't get away from the flat organizers but the stuff in them are much less used items and larger button, flat, and low head cap screws.

These Akro-Mils organizers are no joke. Steel frame. Decent size drawers. My little old organizer never stood a chance.

20221026_154754.jpg

Nicer drawers will fit two or more boxes of smaller screws.

20221026_154757.jpg

All labeled and room for expansion.

20221026_163720.jpg

Back