Tight Tool Post

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
The tool post on my Enco 14X40 lathe has gone tight so I dismantled it thinking I had a swarf problem. After cleaning the dovetails and gib re-assembly has become next to impossible. The gib does not get to it,s original position and the top slide goes tight (seizes). At this point I have turned the gib over and have reassembled to a snug fit and am considering making some adapter washers/rods to adjust the gib to position the gib to a snug but smooth movement of the top slide.
Has anyone encountered this problem? If so, how did you cure it?
All help will be appreciated.
Ray

it appears that you may have a bent gib or something between the gib and the compound.
are there 3 or more allen screws present for setting the gib tension?
if so you may need to back them all the way off and reset them.

Check for any burrs, add make sure the leadscrew is still in alignment and not binding from angular or radial misalignment.

Are you saying the tool holders are tight going on the tool post ?. What kind of tool post is it qctp,

Mike , Thanks for the input, the gib is tapered end to end with an adjusting screw at each end. Will double check for swarf and bent gib. Not sure what the gib is made of so if bent I may have to grind the side toward the locking screw.

Andre, you are right about the lead screw alignment, on the first re-assembly it would go tight then loose, released the set screw and things became easier. Got a manual from Enco but not much information on this part. Not very proud of the adjustment method, just enough to get it out the factory door.

Thanks to you both for the feedback.

I have a plan for modifying the adjustment but it is more or less the last resort, may require buying a 6mm X 1 mm die. Not sure how I will hold it.
Ray

do you have a flat surface you could put the gib on? it would be easy to see any anomaly.
even against a sheet of modern glass would suffice.
the gib is most likely cast iron, if it's anything like the other asian lathes iv'e had apart.
it can be polished or scraped if necessary.
maybe you already know that the screws work in tandem,
meaning that you adjust the gib against the two screws- balancing their movement alternately and in small changes to avoid misalignment.
i hope that made sense.

Thanks again guys!
First the tool post is a "4 way" that I am learning about as I use it, a "dyed in the wool lantern post" type here. I don't believe it is part of the problem however, as the top slide was binding without the 4 Way mounted.

Ulma Doctor you are right on about the gib being bent. Don't know what the thing is made of as it bends rather easily. Got it on a straight edge and sure enough it had a curve in it. A few light taps with my precision 1 pound hammer corrected most of the problem. The adjustment method is effective enough but wish they had over lapped the gib ends a little more. A milling exercise is forthcoming, making 2 washers with a tang on them to better engage the ends of the gib.
Thanks again
Ray

Back