Time For A Heads Up.

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
Those of you that are new to machining please go to go to "Members Projects. Find the thread "My Next Project". I say this to alert you to not needing those large Bridgeports etc. Mark is living proof that they are not always the way to go. Mark is an expert at coaxing the max return from his machines. I rank Mark right up there at the top. Go see for yourself and enjoy what he does.

I just had a thought, maybe we all should go there and watch. The next time a new guy asks which mill or which lathe it might just change some opinions on the smaller machines.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you that are new to machining please go to go to "Members Projects. Find the thread "My Next Project". I say this to alert you to not needing those large Bridgeports etc. Mark is living proof that they are not always the way to go. Mark is an expert at coaxing the max return from his machines. I rank Mark right up there at the top. Go see for yourself and enjoy what he does.

I just had a thought, maybe we all should go there and watch. The next time a new guy asks which mill or which lathe it might just change some opinions on the smaller machines.

"Billy G"
hi there bill so where do I find members projects. to check out this my next projects thanks gotogojo

I always follow Mark's projects. There is always much to learn from everything he makes.

+3 on Mark's projects. Not only does he use 'small' machines to get the work done, but he shows what is possible if you pay attention to detail and do your best to make each part as perfect as possible. See his tool grinder:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tool-and-cutter-grinder-build.30945/

That's a tool that *any* machinist would be damn proud to say they built. The fit and finish is superb, and he didn't need a huge shop full of tools to do it. I recommend searching for and reading all his projects, tips, and tricks. You'll find out that smaller machines are capable of doing things you never dreamt possible.

Another user to follow is BRIAN. He shows that small, import machines are capable of phenomenal work, as evidenced by his many projects.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/five-cylinder-radial-with-ohc.34815/
is one of many.

So hopefully the forum members who 'only' have a mini mill and mini lathe will read those threads, and see that with determination, attention to detail, and effort, their machines are capable of incredible results. Don't get discouraged, and remember that machining is like anything else. Practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how inane and basic they seem. I'm sure even the well-seasoned machinists amongst us take satisfaction in helping someone, and seeing them accomplish what they thought they couldn't achieve.

Thanks Ogberi For the Leg up
But I must point out that "making a halo" is not one of mine, but do please look at it, You don't get project of the month for nothing.
Yes I am a great supporter of small lathes 7x___ series in particular.
If you look at my five cylinder radial project you will also see that we all make mistakes, and learn by them. If you have a question or don't understand ASK
For 7x--- owners my web site (see bottom of page ) has some the mods I have made to my 7x12 and my mill feel free to down load the PDF's of the mods it's FREE.
This forum is here to support ALL machinests.
Brian.

I also keep an eye on Mark's work. Not only are his projects functional, but extremely well finished. He reminds me that it is ok to use a file, or sander or whatever.

However I must confess I am more a "form follows function" person. As long as it is fully functional it is beautiful to me.

David

What amazes me is that Mark can do that kinda work in a shop that is always upside down and sideways.....:)

Back