Tips For Newbies Re Transporting Heavy Gear

Bill,
That looks like a very good mill for the price. My little X2 mill cost me as much:confusion:. Did the tooling shown on the table come with it?. That drill on the left looks bloddy huge, but I see you have the rake to clean up the swarf. Congratulations on a safe move and avagoodweekend.
John.

Bill,
That looks like a very good mill for the price. My little X2 mill cost me as much:confusion:. Did the tooling shown on the table come with it?. That drill on the left looks bloddy huge, but I see you have the rake to clean up the swarf. Congratulations on a safe move and avagoodweekend.
John.

John,

The tooling cost me a bit extra. I was very very lucky with the whole business - partly I think because I lived nearby and we are basically in the middle of nowhere so not many people interested in mills.

I recently got one of those RF30 mills as well. Only cost me AUD$400 though. I was over your way 2 weeks ago visiting my sister in Traralgon. We grew up near Moe.
pete

A lot of machines have threaded rigging points where an I bolt can be installed. If they are not needed for lifting, they can at least be used as a tie down point.

One rule of thumb I have is, if you are straining or it hurts to lift/move something, you're doing it wrong. Work smarter not harder.

Some good advice given.

In places where I don't have a sky hook or anchor, I have walked heavy machinery across a floor with a long pinch bar. It takes some time but gets the job done safely. If moving up and down stairs, some 2 x 6's or 2 x 8's set down as a ramp works. I use a "come-along" or power pull to control the movement, both up and down ramp. I have moved a number of machines up to 4,000 lbs. that way. If using an engine hoist, be very careful about using it for horizontal movement. Keep the machine as close to the ground as possible to avoid moving the center of gravity outside the base and remember that momentum can shift the apparent center of gravity as well.

first and foremost rule in moving heavy equipment: DON'T RUSH
300 kg: get a motor hoist, something like this
upload_2015-7-30_23-53-58.jpeg

Hello,

I have just bought a Rong Fu mill very similar to this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151748144655

Cost me approx $500 US dollars, figured I had to buy a mill, any mill, and start learning and then buy the mill that I really need after having done some learning.

I know nothing about mills - I know I want to learn how to use one. I went for this because its local and easy to get to and it looks solid rather than flimsy with plastic gears and narrow rubber belts etc.

From available online manuals it looks like it weighs approx 300kg.

Gulp !! and I thought the 160kg small 9" lathe was big and heavy.

So .......... Any traps or tips regarding shifting this thing ?

and could we turn this thread into a general tips and traps thread for newbies who have just bought their first heavy thing whether it be a grinder / lathe / mill / shaper / anything

Any good previous threads or web pages ? Will do some googling.

WHats your standard toolkit of useful things to take with you ?

So far I have assembled

Spanners, and shifting spanner, and pliers
Pencil paper
tape measure
round wooden posts 3" diameter for rollers to roll this thing along the floor
battery drill and drill bits and screws
some very slippery offcuts of teflon
some sheets of plywood - might be able to make a sled with the Teflon
big crowbar
smaller pinch bars "jemmy"
2 x 1000kg rated slings
and a mate with a ute (pickup) with a hydraulic arm capable of lifting 900kg
ropes and tie down straps
big old armchair cushions
I do not own an engine crane - relying upon hydraulic arm in ute.

And yes .................... I realise that in the grand scheme of things this is not a big heavy machine - but put yourselves back in your newbie shoes - for many newbies this could be a huge task. Will be happier when it safely in the shed.

Bill

You have gotten a lot of good advice.One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the position of the table when lifting.
You can help balance the mill as it hangs by moving the table in or out and from side to side.Once it is balanced as best you can, remove the hand wheel til completely done.I have a similar mill,maybe heavier. After rolling the mill into the shop I lifted it from an eye bolt in the ceiling. The eye bolt threaded on to a 3/4" by 16" allthread that ran thru a 4x6 timber that spanned 4 joists.Before I lifted with a come-a-long I added two 4 x 4 posts under the timber.
I lifted the mill,adjusted the table so it hung level,or close to it.The stand was slid underneath and I lowered the mill.
If your mill is going in a shed, the mill will have to be rolled thru the door.Make sure the path is stable enough to roll a 600 lb+ machine across.Did anyone mention the mill is top heavy?A slight bump and the mill is on the ground.
I have no idea if hiring a rigger would be too expensive. That would be the safe way to go.
mike

I don't own an engine hoist like the one pictured above, so I went to the local rental place and for $40 saved my self a lot of trouble. Added bonus... rented it late on a Friday, had it for the whole week-end for the 24 hour rate.
Bill

Back