Tom Brady Discovery

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
A recent investigation revealed an unreleased photo that may be able to explain the mystery of why the Patriots NFL Play Off balls were discovered to be under the regulation 12.5 psi pressure rating. Most of you are old enough to have heard of the Dick Tracy Decoder Ring, evidently, Tom Brady had one of his Super Bowl rings modified…

Tom Brady Deflator Ring.jpg

I am not an expert but we all know that metal, or any other substance, expand and contracts with heat (water being an exception). I looked up temperature and pressure relationships and got a formula based on Gay-Lussac's Law. I plugged in the numbers assuming that the ball was inflated with 100F air at 12.5 psi then I changed the temperature in the formula to 60F and the pressure computed to 11.24 psi. A 40F temperature drop caused a 1.25 psi drop. This explains why your automobile tires seem low in the winter. Nothing in the rules states what temperature the inflation air should be, only that the balls should be between 12.5 - 13.5 psi at the official check time. How coincidental is it that 11 out of 12 balls deflated the same amount....I like to watch the patriots play even though I am a Giants fan. I would be devastated if the NFL was marred with fraud (which its not).

EDIT: In retrospect you can also have a 40F drop from a cozy 75F locker room to a frigid 35F field.

Last edited:
I am not an expert but we all know that metal, or any other substance, expand and contracts with heat (water being an exception). I looked up temperature and pressure relationships and got a formula based on Gay-Lussac's Law. I plugged in the numbers assuming that the ball was inflated with 100F air at 12.5 psi then I changed the temperature in the formula to 60F and the pressure computed to 11.24 psi. A 40F temperature drop caused a 1.25 psi drop. This explains why your automobile tires seem low in the winter. Nothing in the rules states what temperature the inflation air should be, only that the balls should be between 12.5 - 13.5 psi at the official check time. How coincidental is it that 11 out of 12 balls deflated the same amount....I like to watch the patriots play even though I am a Giants fan. I would be devastated if the NFL was marred with fraud (which its not).

I was surprised the Balls were not under the control of the Referees. I always thought they were under lock and key. I never knew they were not. Maybe they should be.

I like the Colts but they couldn't play in that rainstorm. When the ball bounced off the receiver's face mask I knew they were in trouble.

Shouldn't that have applied to the ball both teams were using??? Dunno, just saying.

Back