Tool-Free Speed Changes for RF-30 Mills

Gravydog

Registered
Registered
I have a Grizzly 1006 (RF-30 clone) from the early '80's. It is so old it has 2 intermediate pulleys instead of one so changing spindle speeds is even more of a pain than usual. Every time you want to change speeds you have to loosen the motor tension rod screw, pry the motor in against the spring, tighten the screw temporarily, go up top and loosen two bolts and then you can wrestle with the belts to get the combination desired. Then loosen the tension lock, pry out on the motor plate, retighten the tension lock screw and then go back up top and tighten the two bolts for the intermediate pulleys.

I decided to make a better method for me, anyway. I removed the existing tension rod and spring then I made a bracket and lever to mount to the side of the head. The holes in the lever are positioned such that when it is all the way back the hole for the rod is closer to the head of the mill than the pivot hole is so it over-centers and stays put, kind of like vise-grips. To mount the bracket I reused the existing threaded hole where the tension lock screw had been and drilled and tapped a second hole. I made a bracket to attach to the motor mounting bolts and made a forked rod to go from my new tension lever to the new bracket. The rod has several holes drilled where I can insert a hairpin clip in the right spot so that when the lever is pushed back a fairly strong spring exerts pressure on the motor bracket to tension the belts. I could find a stronger spring if it seems necessary.

Up top, I removed the two locking bolts for the intermediate pulley carriers and I loctited in two studs instead. I lubed the carriers where they rotate around the column with WD40 Spray Gel Grease liberally and put thick nylon washers and the original steel washers on the studs with nylock nuts. I adjusted the nuts until I could move the pulleys without too much effort but could feel no slop.

Now to change the belts around, all I have to do is pull the lever forward and then tension is released on all (3 on my machine) belts. Move them to the desired grooves and then push the lever to the rear. Done! I have to admit, though, that I will only be a little more likely to bother changing speeds than before. Like my drill press, the current speed is often good enough!

I had another idea for the nuts that clamp the head to the column. What with my DRO and a shelf and wall behind the mill it was getting kind of crowded to get a box-end wrench on the nuts. After making the tensioner, it was impossible without a socket. I ordered a piece of cold-rolled steel hex stock ( I used 7/8" to match the hold-down nuts for my vise). I moved the hand-tighten nut to the bottom, then made two new nuts for the middle and top. The middle one is longer than the bottom one and the top one is longer yet so both are easy to put the wrench on and have a pretty good swing to tighten or loosen without interference. I like it, hope you do too.

Rob

20200329_112652.jpg
20200329_112719.jpg
20200329_112757.jpg
20200329_112845_HDR.jpg

The welded-on piece of the bracket has to be angled out a little to clear the raised edge of the motor plate. I then bent a little curve into it around the hole for the tension rod to give a little pocket for the piece of round stock that pushes on it. I milled a small flat for the spring but it probably doesn't really matter. The hole in the bracket has to be sloppy enough to not grab the rod in any angle it may end up at.

20200329_112633.jpg

20200329_113004.jpg
20200329_113016_HDR.jpg

I like the belt solution and extended column lock nut a LOT! Those are going on my mod list for my RF30. I don't change speeds a lot either but this will make me not dread it so much.

Good job.

Last edited:
I like the belt solution and extended column lock nut a LOT! Those are going on my mod list for my RF30. I don't change speeds a lot either but this will make not dead it so much.

Good job.

Likewise, I have only two belts but even changing those is a right pain, especially if there’s a big speed change say if going from work steel to aluminum.

I really like the hex stock used as nuts. Definitely going to copy that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since this is attracting some attention I thought it would be helpful to add some details. I know I like to gain ideas from others and then do it my own way but it may help to see my design choices.

20200330_100804.jpg

The mounting bracket is 8" long of about 1.25" angle iron. The pivot hole is .750" from the inside face of the angle and the spacer is tall enough to about center the lever and is welded on to eliminate slop. I'm a beginning TIG welder and really bad at it! The cutout on the right is to give plenty of clearance for the piece of round stock on the rod when the lever is all the way to the left. Make sure the motor plate bracket you make has the hole for the rod at level height.

20200330_100604.jpg
20200330_101328.jpg

The lever is made of .125" flat steel 10" long and after cutting it out I heated and bent the arm out to an angle that looked about right. I spaced the holes 1.75" apart to give about a 3.5" stroke, just making it up as I went along. Nylon washers on the pivot bolt for smooth action when the nylock nut on the pivot bolt is snug. The right hand hole in the photo is inboard of the pivot hole to give that over-centered action under tension on the rod. I made sure to find a pivot bolt with an unthreaded section for the lever to bear on, I see far too often on mechanical equipment where moving parts bear directly on threads and I really hate it. I am partial to flanged bolts and nuts and this 8 mm bolt fit my desires the best of what I could find at Ace Hardware.

20200330_100254.jpg

I made the forked end from some 1/2" square tubing and put a kink in it to help the rod clear the button-head bolts I used to mount the bracket to the head of the mill. Be sure to slot it far enough along to allow the lever to pivot as far to the left as you want.

20200330_100237.jpg

The rod is 3/8" and the spring is not the original from the mill, something slightly stouter I had laying around. I may look for one that is longer/stronger if I feel the need in the future. After you mount your bracket and lever and bracket on the motor plate, make the rod long enough so that it can't fall out when the lever is all the way left and the motor is all the way right.

I had the idea for the longer head locking nuts before I thought of the tensioner, but the tensioner made them a requirement and not just a convenience. I'm about to turn 69 and I'm grateful to still have interests and ideas and the means to satisfy them.

So there is all my wisdom for today! Hindsight is always 20-20 but if I were to build another one I don't really see anything significant I would change. Maybe you will.

Rob

Back