Tool makers scope

hdskip

Active User
Registered
A friend who passed away gave this to me. He was a mold maker and very talented. Instead of spending several thousand $ for a scope he made his own and used it for many years. It was very well done and exhibited his skills. It is one of my prized possessions.

GEDC0111.JPG GEDC0112.JPG

GEDC0111.JPG GEDC0112.JPG

I haven't used one for 30 years but they do come in handy when you need one. Are there cross hairs for alignment and distance measurement?

The microscope does have crosshairs, the angles are measured by rotating the round table which is graduated in 1 degree increments. Liner measuring is done by using the micrometer heads and can be increased by placing gauge blocks between the measuring faces.
He spent a lot of time engineering and machining this tool. Ed was long retired when I met him but still did some work in his home shop. Mine was the loss that I never was able to work with him professionally. I miss him a lot.

It's nice to know that it might be possible to progress to the point where you would need to use that to see where your errors/misteps are. Mine are very obvious! Thanks for sharing.

That's a sweet setup, is it lighted in anyway? What a layout tool for tiny steam ports and valves.

There is an opening on the head of the microscope that allowed a a light to be inserted to illuminate the stage. The original wasn't present but I use a small LED flashlight in it's place. The whole tool is cleverly designed and executed.

Back