Tool Post Grinder Face Grinding Q

Jake P

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I've acquired a Dumore Series 44 and am wondering what the collective wisdom is regarding the suitability of this wheel for face grinding.
The 44 is rated for up to 3" wheels, and that's the size of this wheel. The wheel is rated for 12,000 rpm and Dumore recommends 6,600 rpm for 3" wheels per the motor placard, so the wheel should be fine speed wise. I got the wheel for free, so it might be worth a try, just need to make a suitable bushing first. However, I don't want to go through the trouble of making the bushing if this wheel is not suitable for reasons not obvious to me.

I realize that this wheel is not made specifically for face grinding on a TPG, so what are the thoughts from those of you that know more about this?

Thanks!
Jake

IMG_3078 2.jpeg

IMG_3077 2.jpeg

I'm no expert on this but I suspect you will have trouble grinding larger pieces with that unless your grinder has lots of power.
I think that shape is used more for cutter grinding.

Face grinding on either a lathe or actual universal grinder is a difficult task . The wheel / spindle HAS to be exactly perpendicular or you will grind a dish or crown . A good beveled straight edge is used to check . Cover your ways . ;)

I'm no expert on this but I suspect you will have trouble grinding larger pieces with that unless your grinder has lots of power.
I think that shape is used more for cutter grinding.
Watching a video by Mr. Crispin on Youtube:

He used what looks to be a wheel around 2.5 inches with the same TPG. That may very well be the limit for face grinding with this little TPG. Time will tell.

I just wanted to be sure that I am not misusing this wheel in a manner that could be hazardous (more so than any grinding wheel at high rpm).

The wheel / spindle HAS to be exactly perpendicular or you will grind a dish or crown .
Definitely so!

I used the same technique as this video for setting up the TPG:

I am able to get the grinder aligned within about .0005" all the way around with the same setup, so at least that part of the process is mostly under control.

I've also recently acquired a 3D printer and will be making some custom shaped vacuum attachments to attempt capturing a majority of the grinding dust, and I have appropriate material for covering the machine as well. So I am taking all the precautions necessary.

Unless the material is extremely hard, (Rc 50+), I do not see the advantage to TPG face grinding on the lathe, given the lack of rigidity to the device?

Back