Tool post grinders ?????

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
neeed a little info on these as I have a couple motors that are set up nicely to make a TPG out of. They are part of a conveyor drive and are mounted as an assembly with the drive system and a roller. One of the main Q's I have is about speed. Do they need to be any certain RPM for this application?

I'll post pics of what I have tomorrow when I get off work.

Charley,

A main factor to consider would be the max RPM rating for the grinding wheel. Of course you could always build a belt drive that allows for speed increase/decrease if need be.

What X-Ray said.

The main thing to worry about is the max speed of the wheels you want to run. Figure out what type you want, then you can figure out what kind of gearing you need from the motor to the spindle.

What type of motor is it? If it is a DC motor you can probably find a speed controller pretty cheap. If it's a single phase induction motor, speed changes are going to be limited to switching belts

I have a Dumore and a The Mac. Here is the plate on the Dumore. Remember the wheels are not mounted on the motor shaft, they have their own spindle.

"Billy G" :thinking:

2091f97_27.jpg

I have four grinders that I use in tool post applications on the lathe and two are like Bill mentioned that run on their own shaft driven by belt much like the DuMore. However I find that I tend to use my large Makita end grinder mostly as it is quick to install and works well for both internal and external grinding and has really good bearings when compared to my Milwaukee. One day I plan to make one like the guy on utube that has a really slick set up. If I can find the link I'll post it with an edit!

I believe this is the correct one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-woPRV_lac

Last edited:
I like that one, especially that loooog spindle snout.

"Billy G" :))

One thing to keep in mind in building a TPG. Don't use a "timing Belt" or "cog" belt system.
Go with a "Poly Groove" belt system. So much smoother and won't leave "timing marks" on your ground surface.

Back