Tormach SuperFly Cutter

I've been looking at the Superfly lately. I just spoke with a tech at Tormach. I asked him about this but he didn't know...or didn't want to say. I'm wondering if I could use their tool holder (part that holds the insert) in my fly cutter bodies. Anyone know... is the angle for the tool bar in the tool body the same as the standard flycutters we see like this? Or, to put it another way... has anyone tried using the Tormach tool holder in their regular fly cutter body?

I think it's 19 degrees??
I'll have to check when I get home.

Thanks ddickey! I'm at work so I'll have to check my fly cutters later, too. I wonder if it's the angle the insert is presented at, along with the insert's facial geometry, that makes the Superfly cut supposedly so well.

I made the body myself specifically for the tool bar.
it is as I remember 19° although I've seen some say 20° angle.
I think Mikey has the Tormach body as well and he measured 19° angle also.

I just spent some time trying to measure the angle of the Superfly. It is difficult because the diameter of the body and the TTS collar are slightly different. I tried using a Starrett protractor and got 19 degrees. Then I used a Starrett vernier protractor and got 20 degrees. I think 20 degrees is more likely right. This matters because the insert geometry relies on an accurate angle. If I steered you wrong, Duane, my sincere apologies.

Thanks guys. I'll measure my cutters tonight. I'm real interested to see if I can use the Tormach tool bar in my cutter bodies. To use the Tormach body I'd have to get a 3/4" end mill holder for my MT2 spindle and don't know how my machine would like that. It's pushing its limits.

The Superfly cuts with very little cutting force generation. If you have at least 1HP, you should do fine with it.

Why is it so difficult to source Korloy inserts in the USA?
Are these Ebay sellers legit? Is there a known, good seller on Ebay for the Korloy inserts, SEHT for TTS Superfly cutter.
3. Can the carbide SEHT inserts for steel be used on hard steels like O1? ( annealed).

KBC sells the Korloy inserts

Back