Torn between a PM-25MV and Taig CNC Micro Mill

jdsantiagojr

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I own a Chinese mini-lathe and am looking to invest in a milling machine. I have spent a lot of time tweaking and fixing my lathe so I would like to buy a milling machine that just works out of the box. My goal is to learn milling and get my feet wet with CNC machining. I want to find something for learning and making serious parts.

This is a dangerous question with fans of both machines in this forum, but which one of these machines would be a good investment to learn and build milling skills? Any honest opinion would be very much appreciated.

When I faced this problem, I though about the sizes of the things I would end up milling, this lead directly to the notion of a knee mill, and the smallest proper knee mill is something like the 6×26 from China or Taiwan, but I went one step larger at 8×30 G0730. I have had a lot og good times with this mill over the last 3 years.

Note: if you get something smaller than a knee mill, do not get a round column mill.

Attachments

• cell-stuff63.JPG
    cell-stuff63.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 22
A CNC mill does offer some capabilities that are difficult, if not impossible to duplicate otherwise. However, a manual mill can accomplish 99$ of what needs to be done with a little thought. For a novice, a manual mill is a good place to start. You will learn far more about the machining processes than you would with a CNC mill. Another consideration is operator error. It is fairly difficult to have a serious crash with a manual machine. A crash with a CNC machine can end up costing a bundle.

To gain the most benefit from a CNC machine, you almost have to have CAD and CAM software which is yet another skill which must be mastered and depending on what packages you choose, can be a significant additional expense.

I have had a manual (round column ) mill for forty years and a CNC mill for nine years. Most of what I do on the CNC is essentially manual milling.

Another consideration is the size of the work envelope. You will get much more for your buck in that regard with the manual machine.

Back