Tos Sn40b Engine Lathe

Gimpy

Registered
Registered
i have just got this lathe going yesterday. I have been searching for information in it for awhile and got some but would like a lot more.quite a bit of it is not in English .one price of information that I have says the lathe should be turning forward when the lever is down and that is the way that I wired it and there is oil flowing in the sight glass.i just watched a video demonstration on u tube of a sn40c and the machine was running forward with the lever up. I think I am right but would like to sure. Thanks gimpy

Gimpy
Is your lathe an SN40c ? Could you send a picture or two? If so, wow that is one mighty good looking and capable machine. I'm not really sure which way it should be turning with any lever in any position, but I know that in videos of rotating objects, the apparent rotation is not necessarily the way that it looks.
Who is the manufacturer? Were was it made? How did you get hold of it? How old is your dog? (sorry I got carried away). I'm sure that there are others in this forum who probably know exactly what you are looking for.

Chuck the grumpy one

Does it look similar to this?
Toslathe_zpsjgufverf.jpg

Tos Trencin made in Slovokia, I use this particular machine several times per week, SN 70 something as I recall. Nicely made and relatively quiet, powerful and rigid as well.
Spindle forward is lever down on this one, my employer bought it new, I owned a Clausing lathe for over 20 years that had a mechanical clutch, it was lever up spindle on, lever down neutral/brake the harder you pushed it down increased the braking force, the direction was controlled by a drum switch and the motor remained running in the direction chosen.
When I began running the above lathe 20 years of habit had me turning the spindle on the wrong way every time for a week or so, there is no right or wrong way so make it operate the way that You desire.

Toslathe_zpsjgufverf.jpg

I think that there is a right way because if you don,t have it right the oil pump will run back wards and starve the bearings. I am really out in the boondocks and this machine is immaculate so I don,t want to do anything stupid. I am not good enough at this to post pictures but this thing is really well made and quiet. Thanks gimpy
Gimpy
Is your lathe an SN40c ? Could you send a picture or two? If so, wow that is one mighty good looking and capable machine. I'm not really sure which way it should be turning with any lever in any position, but I know that in videos of rotating objects, the apparent rotation is not necessarily the way that it looks.
Who is the manufacturer? Were was it made? How did you get hold of it? How old is your dog? (sorry I got carried away). I'm sure that there are others in this forum who probably know exactly what you are looking for.

Chuck the grumpy one

My lathe is a sn40b .it is a1974 buy was stored in a guys basement for many years. Got the steady and follower plus a 3 jaw, 4jaw and a combination 4 jaw and face plate.i am really pleased with it except for having trouble getting information on change gears as they are needed to cut 13 and 26 threads per inch.the plate on the machine is not readable and I don,t understand the printed charts I have been able to find .ihave a12 inch Harrison that I can do them on but it is a pain and not good for large items.thanks gimpy

Does it look similar to this?
Toslathe_zpsjgufverf.jpg

Tos Trencin made in Slovokia, I use this particular machine several times per week, SN 70 something as I recall. Nicely made and relatively quiet, powerful and rigid as well.
Spindle forward is lever down on this one, my employer bought it new, I owned a Clausing lathe for over 20 years that had a mechanical clutch, it was lever up spindle on, lever down neutral/brake the harder you pushed it down increased the braking force, the direction was controlled by a drum switch and the motor remained running in the direction chosen.
When I began running the above lathe 20 years of habit had me turning the spindle on the wrong way every time for a week or so, there is no right or wrong way so make it operate the way that You desire.
Gimpy

Chuck the grumpy one
it is a beautiful machine and is running real nice.iwould send some pics but I am not good at using this I pad. Thanks gimpy

Toslathe_zpsjgufverf.jpg

Back