TOS SN45 Lathe

jonhelgi

Registered
Registered
Hi, Is anyone here familiar with TOS SN45 lathes?
While looking on the internet I am not sure if I have SN45A, SN45B or SN45C.

regards
Jon H.

Hi, Is anyone here familiar with TOS SN45 lathes?
While looking on the internet I am not sure if I have SN45A, SN45B or SN45C.

regards
Jon H.

Welcome to the forum , Lathes.co.uk have a page about them which might help in working out which you have.

Stu

I don't have a quick answer, but you can scan Youtube videos for SN series lathes - there a lot of B models, and some C models. If you check them out closely, you might get hints about your lathe by comparing....

I have a TOS SN40C. The A, B, C designation refers to spindle bore size. A’s are the older machines; C’s the newer. TOS was continually improving and refining the machines through the years so there are other changes. My C machine has about 2 1/8 to 2 3/16 spindle bore. You can probably find the other bores on the Lathes.co.uk site.

The serial number will tell you the year of the machine. On my machine, the serial number format is #### ## ## #### with the third set of numbers reflecting the year. In my case, it reads #### ## 95 #### indicating a 1995 machine.

My machine was in good condition, but I went through it anyway. I disassembled the apron and opened up the feedbox and headstock. I also made a few modifications to mine regarding the machine bases and adding a DRO in such a way that it wouldn’t interfere with the machine feed kick-outs. I’m mentioning this because I took quite a few pictures. If you need any insights, maybe I can help.

I have one, and I love the carriage control setup. Unfortunately, some moron used Scotchbrite for way wipers and did a job on the ways. Mike

We had a TOS lathe at my original workplace . Nice machine , maybe a 17" or larger swing . I remember it was a very dark green color while most of the other lathes were some sort of gray . The lathe was used for making submarine windows out of acrylic . I had to let one of my workers go for scrapping 2 of these windows . Many hours of work on the cnc mills were performed before the final lathe operation . If I'm remembering correctly , the lathe had a rapid traverse option . :encourage: The very large universal grinder was also a TOS . Ran it for years .

I ran a TOS where I worked. It was 60" swing x 23' between centers. The top slide had power feed and could be set up to travel with the longitudinal feed to cut tapers. Cut many that were 10 ft+ long.

Back