Tough Steel?

Structural steel ? Not sure structural steel is usually pretty tough, but in my experience not so hard. never had a problem drilling or machining it.

Given that I get most of my steel as offcuts and drops from a structural steel fabricator, he does pretty big stuff.

My other material source is mechanics shops, drive shafts, axles, usually fairly tough, machine ok with carbide. Gearbox shafts always tough, often quite hard, sometimes too hard to machine. And I also get hold of some worn pins from excavators these are good tough steel, but not so hard. they are a high wear item on earth moving machines, so check out their workshops.

I've had that happen at times with D2 steel. Sometimes it drills fine and other times just won't drill.
Always figured it drilled like stainless and I "dwelled" and made a hard spot. Once a hole was like that it was best to just leave it and start elsewhere.

Structural steel ? Not sure structural steel is usually pretty tough, but in my experience not so hard. never had a problem drilling or machining it.
I agree, I was under the impression this piece would be perfect. What kind of steel would be this hard on the one hand and used for some sort of fabricating support?
It's got me stumped.
I'm always learning something.

I've run into the same thing before. Gritty, grinding, tiny chip drilling and then the bit is toast. I sharpen the bit, move over an inch or two and it drills fine. I'll use the cobalts on this stuff too. Drilling slow and hard like mentioned, worked best- stay ahead of the cutting and don't ease up on the pressure- use oil.
Had the same thing on the lathe- dulled my HSS and left a gritty surface no matter what I did.

Found a pile of laser cut diamond shapes at the metal supply scrap area.
1/4” thick with drilled holes in the center.
I’m Making a chain saw sharpening tool stand for a coworker.
Same thing, center punc ok, I only have good drill bits, I started out ok then it quit drilling.
Sharpened the bit, slow and hard second time, got almost through and the bit broke.
Broke two bits.
I assume it’s some kind of structural steel?
Tough steel!

I doubt good structural steel would be that hard, it's usually moderately tough. it can take a fair bit of flexing loads, but it shouldn't be hard, it generally drills and machines well. Maybe it's been heated and quenched, or perhaps its no.1 grade chinesium. Known for it's hard inclusions.

I always make sure, as much as I can, any metal I get is not from china.

What does the spark look like? Do you have a known piece of structural steel?

Back