Tramming issues pm 835

Does your tram change after the cut?
Any chance you vise is rocking?
Any chance the bits clamping the tram adjustments only look like they are clamping?
Slop between the quill and head casting?

Since I'm not familiar with that.machine. can I get a photo of the adjustment areas?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was locking the Z locks but the Z was still moving 0.003". I finally figured that one out. Now to get the cut perfectly level. Along the Y.

I still have the issue of the cut being slightly off along the Y. A slight tilt that doesn't show in the tram. I am going to do some test cuts this morning and see which side is high and try to bias the tram 0.001" to see if I can clear it up.

Are you tramming off of your mill table or your vise?

My God did I learn a ton this last few days. This part might not look like much but it is the culmination of a vast increase in my understanding of these machines.

20210211_144700.jpg

This piece is within 0.0002" of parallel top to bottom. I doubt I'll ever get that lucky again. Lol!

I was having some flex in the head that I did not completely understand. When I reversed the direction of cut the flex in the head gave me 0.0005" of deflection in the cut that I could measure. This was after working through the x, y, and z to tighten things up and locking all axis on each cut. It wasn't until later that my machinist friend told me this not out of the ordinary on these mills.

On this piece I ran all three cuts in the same direction and just rapided back each time. Zero deflection that I can measure.

I ran this side on my fly cutter and got within 0.0002" in about 8 measurements. Zero detectable dish in the middle.

20210210_190223.jpg

Life is not about chasing tenths on a mill and I seriously doubt I'll ever send the time on a paying job or home project to try and get this level of perfection. I even had to clean and stone my old Kurt to get the part to sit flat enough to get close to this.

I can say that I am phenomenally pleased that the accuracy is better than I will need for the stuff I do.

Right now my X is just a bit tighter than it has to be for the accuracy I require. I do not want to squeeze out the oil so I'll just barely loosen the X gib to avoid excessive wear. The Z will stay relatively snug to avoid shifting as the weight shifts. I'll just oil the crap out of it as I use the knee a ton.

Welcome to where the deer, and antelope play, where seldom is heard a discouraging word..... :grin: Good job:encourage:

“I do not want to squeeze out the oil so I'll just barely loosen the X gib to avoid excessive wear. The Z will stay relatively snug to avoid shifting as the weight shifts.”
I told her the exact same thing. Then the seat reclined unexpectedly.

Back