Transformer question?

hoss897

Registered
Registered
Is this a step down transformer? Not sure if I'm reading this right. It came on a mill that I purchased.
Is there any market for it or is it scrap if I'm not using it?

Attachments

• 20240215_112721.jpg
    20240215_112721.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 55
Yes it's a step-down- someone may have a need for it
It's a convenient smaller size (3 kw)

It can be used as a step down or a step up.
With a 600 vac primary side I would think one of the Canadian members could be interested or vice a versa.
As an auto transformer they are generally not recommended for VFD use.
In industry it would more than likely be used for a small machine as it is three phase.
It's output being just over 8 amps.
Probably in the 40-50 pound range Probably 2/3 of that will be high quality copper.
If someone is looking for it they would probably be happy to pay 100.00-300.00 for it.
CAUTION: the value I stated is based on personal experience and location.
My area is flooded with surplus transformers and it's value HERE is at the lower end.
Keep it dry and use it for a bargaining chip down the road.

Most people in residential areas need a step up transformer to run 3 phase higher voltages like 575-600 volts. If it is used in reverse, have an electrician wire it up. There could be a grounding issues.
Martin

Generally one can use a transformer in either direction, from an electrical perspective. As Martin noted, however, the transformer should be checked for proper grounding and isolation from the windings with proper equipment and people who know how to use and understand the equipment. It's not difficult to test, but the results may have to be interpreted according to your local codes. An electrician with industrial experience "should" be able to help. Perhaps a general one, but I'm not sure of that. If I recall correctly, one would use a "megger" for the test which can measure electrical leakage between windings and case.

If it's not fit for use, it probably contains quite a bit of copper and iron for scrap value, simply due to it's weight.

Back