Trying to figure out an old shop made bender

pebbleworm

Active User
Registered
I have a shop made metal bender of some kind and I need some help in figuring out how to use it- pictures are up at:
http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g72/g ... 20thereof/
It looks like the platform of a di-acro bender, but the table with the pins rotates, and there does not seem to be a clamp or a handle. What is throwing me off is that the pin plate spins around the central shaft and there is no provision for a handle. Various mandrels could fit over the central pivot, and a handle/clamp could just fit into some of the dowel pin holes? The bottom plate looks like it would mount in a vise. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
One suggestion I've had was that the "vise mount" would actually be chucked in a lathe, but that still leaves the pin plate spinning free.

I've seen on of these before. It was used to make the spiral ends for ornamental iron work. A flat steel bar with 2 hole length wise near the end fit over the 2 pins side by side near the outside. A pin a little further in fit against the side of the steel bar handle giving it additional suppoort. I piece of bar ~3/4" wide had its end inserted in the fixed slot with the fixture clamped in a vise. The handle moves the movable disk in an arc and the pins placed at different intervals create the required ornamental end. Does this seem reasonable for the size and construction?

Thanks! I'd thought the pair of pins could be a handle mount, but they are removable like the rest of them. It's about 8" in diameter and the plates are about 1" thick.

Thanks! I'd thought the pair of pins could be a handle mount, but they are removable like the rest of them. It's about 8" in diameter and the plates are about 1" thick.

This is a truely universal bender. It has no handle, but a bar/handle can be inserted between two pins at a convenient point to turn the plate. A better handle would be a bar with a couple holes to fit over two pins.
Neat tool. Nice find.
I have a Diacro and while I don't use it often, when I do, I'm amazed at the accuracy that can be achieved. I built 150' of fencing that required very accurate bends (only a machinist/engineer could be so anal) and I couldn't have done it without the Diacro.

IMG_8966.JPG

Thanks for the information! That was the incentive I needed to clean the thing up, shoot on a coat of paint and carefully go over various bender manuals. Here's how I think it works;
A shop made radius die is locked into the central slot- I'm picturing a giant washer with a cross piece pinned in place to fit the slot.
The dead end of the workpiece is wedged against the radius die with a convenient pin
Set another pin outside the workpiece to push it against the form/to shape as the plate is rotated with a handle. I'm using a bolt cutter handle that conveniently fits over two pins
At least I think it will work that way. I'll try a few bends very soon.

Back