Trying to sell a lathe.

Sorting through an estate can be exhausting.
Most of what was left of my dads where of no significant value nor junk.
Its a matter of time/money

If you can afford to keep it all , sit on it and sort it out and piece it out
You will get the most out of it.
How much time do you want to put into it.

The entire ordeal was exhausting for my mother and I
Finally just dragged everything out side and sold off as BO and eventually just gave what was left away. The tid bits left went curb side.

I would think long and hard about anyone in your family or your dads friends that would really appreciate whats there and hook them up.

The other side : my friend hired someone to handle the estate sale.
They charged a flat fee. When the sale is over they get there flat fee plus 40%

I was shocked how many people showed and and the amount of money they pulled in.
The Estate sales people advertised in many platforms and had a good net work.

Long story shortened.

My dad passed a couple years ago, and I am responsible for emptying his estate before the state takes the real estate and sells it for his debts to them.

My dad's garage was basically outfitted better than a business, and I have this beast to try and get rid of.

It's a Jet 1240PY. I know it worked, because I played with it when I was real young and I know it worked when he passed because of all his neighbors coming over and telling me about stuff he machined for them, plus all of the metal shavings everywhere.

I'm just trying to figure out what I should try and sell this stuff for because I really have no idea. I'm not looking for my sisters and I to retire but I don't want a couple of pennies either. I'm also considering how much of a pain it's going to be to move. I'd like some insight on what would be a decent price to ask for myself and whoever buys and has to move this beast.

The rust on it is just surface rust from sitting in a somewhat sealed leaky garage for two years. I brushed some of it off with my fingers and got the tooling to move freely with no effort.

Appreciate any all responses.
In November I sold a sb 9.
I put in Craigslist, let go an Facebook.

It was sold on Facebook.
I guy travel 200 miles to pickup.

Da

I can't help on the value but I will tell you I've been looking for a lathe for some time, and when I see an ad with a lathe with rust like is shown, I just keep looking. It's not worth it to me to even reach out, even if it is listed as surface rust. As mentioned above, a little elbow grease and some oil could increase the sales price substantially. Buying a used lathe is a crap shoot at best. Making it look as good as possible will increase your market.

The little lathe is a wood lathe
You might ask 75$ for it

Last edited:
Back