Trying to size a first mill

@Dabbler: Wow! Those are some big machines! I don't expect to buy larger than the PM-728 ever, but you never know. At the moment I wouldn't have the space.

I'll keep used in mind, and if I do, I'll take your advise and talk to Matt. But for now, financing is a must.

@Aaron_W: I think you're right about it depending on the projects. I haven't cut many chips on either one yet, but I find that at the least, the compound slide on the mini-lathe feels flimsy (and moves a bit) no matter how I adjust it. It might just be user error, but I usually do alright with dialing in machines.

@addertooth: That lathe looks nice! CNC mill first for me, then I'll start looking into a lathe upgrade.

@Aaron_W: I think you're right about it depending on the projects. I haven't cut many chips on either one yet, but I find that at the least, the compound slide on the mini-lathe feels flimsy (and moves a bit) no matter how I adjust it. It might just be user error, but I usually do alright with dialing in machines.

I have used several small lathes, but not one of the 7x mini lathes. It seems like they require a fair bit of fiddling to get the slop out of them, but once they are set up people seem to like them well enough.

My first and only mill, so far, is a PM-30MV, similar to the 728 you are looking at. I knew very little when I bought it and now know just a little more, but it was a very good starting point in my opinion and I have amazed myself with what I have learned and built. does it have limitations? Of course it does, but with proper feeds and speeds it can get things done. Is it accurate? Yes, more accurate than my skill level at this time most cases. I have found it quite adequate for what I have had to do with it and very well built in my estimation. I don't know haw I survived this long without one.

Get the best mill you can afford and set it up to your liking over time, I think that is a never ending story though.

Back