Two cellphone holders

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
A few weeks ago I bought a new (to me) Jeep to replace my crispy Cherokee, and it needed a new phone holder since I let the other one go with the other car. I was going to go to wally world for another one, but it wasn't convenient and I didn't want to make a special trip out there just to buy another piece of crappy injection molded styrene. So, I decided to make one. About the same time the one in my wife's car (also crappy injection molded styrene) had broken, so I decided to make two. I was going to make them the same, but she has a different case on her phone so the same design wouldn't work.

For mine, I took the minimalist approach. A backplate of acetal (Delrin), with five turned acetal bushings, held together with stainless button head screws and attached to a 1/16" aluminum bracket which is turn attached to the car with foam mounting tape. The bushings are located where they are to give access for the buttons and the power cord. The look, I think, goes with the Jeep's styling:

IMG_20200202_110612450_HDR_reduced.jpg
IMG_20200208_172512_reduced.jpg

For my wife's, the bumps on her phone case wouldn't play well with the spools, so I made straight rails. The back is again acetal, and I thought the rails were, but it obviously wasn't, it was something gummy and the finish was poor, but it works. It tended to vibrate a bit making noise, so I added another brace which stabilized it:

IMG_20200208_120837_reduced.jpg

IMG_20200208_120856_reduced.jpg

Inspiration came from one I made a few years ago for a plane I owned at the time... since the plane was made of wood, the phone holder was, too. No, I wasn't making phone calls in flight, but there are aviation map apps for aircraft that run on smartphones:

IMG_20160427_172003809_reduced.jpg

Back