Two hours wasted.

I usually just mark the outside either hand written or a PTouch Label...
To each his own.. I'm not going to spend time making up those labels.. It's just not in me.

I’m with woodchucker, I’m in awe of you guys who are so organized, but I know me. I’d still not be organized and I‘d feel like “2hrs wasted” after the first time I misplaced something. I hope I didn’t misstep but probably did.

I’m with woodchucker, I’m in awe of you guys who are so organized, but I know me. I’d still not be organized and I‘d feel like “2hrs wasted” after the first time I misplaced something. I hope I didn’t misstep but probably did.
No worries from me. I've always tried to be organized, but found myself buying too many things I already had two of: more than two clamps and other items is OK; however, a third tool that you only have used the first one you bought ten years ago once is not good (too mush other nifty stuff to get).

No worries from me. I've always tried to be organized, but found myself buying too many things I already had two of: more than two clamps and other items is OK; however, a third tool that you only have used the first one you bought ten years ago once is not good (too mush other nifty stuff to get).
that's the way you find them... you buy another, then the 1st shows up. :rolleyes:
it's just that way.... you can't cheat it... it's the way it was meant to be. :grin:

Hey, I like walking into a nice organized shop.. One that still does a ton of work. You can tell Joe Pie is like that.
I wish I could be that organized, and many will think I am too organized, but those pics take it to a level that I just can't.

Everyone has to find their balance. Some people have better word/text recognition and text labels are fine, other people process differently and a picture is very helpful. Personally, I like the "Denny's menu" concept when organizing. The cost to benefit is worth it for me. For some it may not be worth spending the time.

I will say that once I made a few pictures labels, it was easier and faster to do additional ones. I don't do this for all storage areas, only the ones where I seem to struggle to find stuff. I have used my labeled drawers for about 7 months now and I just love them. They save me a lot of time and brain power, and keep me more focused on creativity.

I reserve the name tag stickers for the small boxes that I found myself rummaging through. I have to say it’s amazing how threads come up here just as I’m struggling with the same thing. The best is getting some basic trick that I’d never thought of.

Right as this thread started I was going through a reorganization trying to get more logical because I feel like I’d finally reached a level of storage I didn’t have to jam unrelated things together because I didn’t have enough space. Moving stuff is fraught with disaster. I needed a 3/4 drill bit and actually remembered I’d moved the Silver Deming set and knew they were finally in the lathe chest because that’s where they are always used, the lathe. My logic is not everybody’s logic but decades ago I learned if I followed it I knew right where everything in my big rollaway was. It’s just taken 5yrs of getting the right storage to expand that logic into the rest of the shop. Still doesn’t keep things from disappearing periodically right before my eyes, but the stuff overall is way easier to find.

Ask "Google" She'll know!

ChatGPT:
I'm afraid I can't help you locate your cotter pins as I don't have access to your physical surroundings. However, I can suggest some common places where people typically store cotter pins:

1. Toolbox: Check any toolboxes you have, especially if you keep your other mechanical tools there.
2. Parts Bin: If you have a specific container or bin for small mechanical parts, check there.
3. Workbench: Look around your workbench or any surface where you might have been working on mechanical projects.
4. Garage or Workshop: Cotter pins may have been placed on a shelf, in a drawer, or hung on a pegboard in your garage or workshop.
5. Project Area: If you were working on a specific project involving cotter pins, they may be near that project.
6. Storage Container: If you have a designated container for fasteners or small parts, check there.

If you still can't find them, retracing your steps to where you last remember using or seeing them might jog your memory.

Back