Typical Texas summer!

toolman

Active User
Registered
Welp, mama and I went to the WalMart on the other side of town because she wanted to go to another store around the corner while I looked for some stuff in WallyWorld. I'd gotten a couple of text alerts about the weather going south, but when I picked her up from the other store and headed back to WM, the weather was fine. 30 minutes later, we heard it start to rain, then small hail, then big hail, then all of the skylights started imploding and everyone started dodging falling plastic and glass from the fluorescent lights exploding. A girl herded us all back to the back and about 5 min. later, it was over. We walked out of the room we were in and she tried to tell me that we couldn't leave yet. I told her to watch us because we had two grandkids at home by themselves (granted they're 13 and 15, but still..). When we got out to the parking lot, it looked like a war zone with windows busted out of about 50-100 cars, including ours. On the way home, it hit again and we had to hide under a tree for a bit. 15 minutes later, the sun was shining and all was right with the world again except for the collateral damage. It sucked getting her car (2012 Equinox) trashed, but then we drove over to the shop that is doing the repair work on my "newsed" '07 Chevy Z-71 that was in near-mint condition. Sure enough, it was left outside, and let's just say that old Blackie ain't as pretty as she was when I brought her home a few weeks ago, but at least all of the windows are still there.

We got just a tad over an inch of rain in about 30 minutes at the house with no hail, so thank God for that, but the $500 deductible apiece on each vehicle is going to hurt, plus, there's a separate glass policy. This will be vehicle #3 and 4 that this has happened to in three years.

th_IMG_20140612_182456_993_zpstw39c0rj.jpg

Last edited:
Hail is the one thing that makes me nervous, with the house and car. At least you were not driving at the time.
Pierre

Glad the damage was limited to stuff that can be replaced...

Weather like that on a regular basis would dive me nuts. We get annual hurricanes here but, I'm 100 miles inland so, it's not that bad. At least though, we normally don't get much hail every year and when we do, it's usually pebble-sized stuff that doesn't do any damage to speak of. I think in my book, getting my vehicles pelted with large hail on a regular basis would be grounds for divorcing myself from the region...

Ray

Glad the damage was limited to stuff that can be replaced...

Weather like that on a regular basis would dive me nuts. We get annual hurricanes here but, I'm 100 miles inland so, it's not that bad. At least though, we normally don't get much hail every year and when we do, it's usually pebble-sized stuff that doesn't do any damage to speak of. I think in my book, getting my vehicles pelted with large hail on a regular basis would be grounds for divorcing myself from the region...

Ray

Thankfully, it's not really a regular basis as we'll go for years without any damage, but when it happens it's ugly.

Once we had 1" hail.
I wore my full face helmet to ran to cover the cars with rolls of the plastic meshes we use to pick olives, but I got so many bruises on my arms and my back that wifey called me "Leopard Man".

Back