Understanding Metrology Measurement Units - Inch & Metric

That was a pretty cool video . Back in the 70's , I was talking to a co worker about a part and I used the term "dead nuts" , we all know that means you hit the dimension and didn't need the +or- . The guy that cleaned up things was listening to us , he had this look on his face that is hard to describe .
We all had a good laugh over it .

Mitutoyo has some other good articles and videos on metrology.

That was a pretty cool video . Back in the 70's , I was talking to a co worker about a part and I used the term "dead nuts" , we all know that means you hit the dimension and didn't need the +or- . The guy that cleaned up things was listening to us , he had this look on his face that is hard to describe .
We all had a good laugh over it .
Of course I wasn’t there but I have the picture of a memory of one of the early packing houses I worked in. Probably 75% workers were from Mexico and had very limited English. But as always the case they understood way more than they could speak. The boss came up on me while I was under an automatic box tray maker that had broken down like it constantly did. The boss was upset that the machine was down and they were running out of trays and wanted to know when it would be fixed. My only response was as soon as I could weld the patched together POS. EL Hefe’s response was “ I don’t give a rats a$$, get it done!”

The 4 guys who ran the machine were already scared to see him, then to see him yelling at me, their eyes were big as saucers deer in headlights. When the boss left one of the guys came up and I expected him to say something about me getting chewed out. But in a totally mystified voice asked “why did he want to give you a rats a$$?” When I explained it to him all 4 guys laughed for days about that so hard they couldn’t hardly work. My nickname became Rata.

Of course I wasn’t there but I have the picture of a memory of one of the early packing houses I worked in. Probably 75% workers were from Mexico and had very limited English. But as always the case they understood way more than they could speak. The boss came up on me while I was under an automatic box tray maker that had broken down like it constantly did. The boss was upset that the machine was down and they were running out of trays and wanted to know when it would be fixed. My only response was as soon as I could weld the patched together POS. EL Hefe’s response was “ I don’t give a rats a$$, get it done!”

The 4 guys who ran the machine were already scared to see him, then to see him yelling at me, their eyes were big as saucers deer in headlights. When the boss left one of the guys came up and I expected him to say something about me getting chewed out. But in a totally mystified voice asked “why did he want to give you a rats a$$?” When I explained it to him all 4 guys laughed for days about that so hard they couldn’t hardly work. My nickname became Rata.
Reminds me of when I referred to the “electrical connection box” on a motor as a pecker head in a mixed company construction meeting in 1982: the young admin lady was dumbfounded.

Back