Understanding Motor Connection Numbers

Downwindtracker2

Active User
Registered
Good Morning
I looking to be able to learn about wiring the motor on my RongFu-45 mill/drill . I bought a couple of well used Taiwanese machines, a DF1224g lathe and the RF-45 . Just $1700 for the pair. Used RF-45s were going for at least $1500 at the time. Canadian $ . Obviously, they had problems, both had mickey mouse electrical repairs. The lathe got a Baldor 3phase 2hp and a Hitachi VFD . I'll use the mag starter off the lathe and a SquareD drum switch for reversing. Both are 2hp rated. The motor is a" Capacitor AC Induction Motor" 2hp 1ph 1725rpm 10.5amp 2001 date. I have 220volts.

I'm a 73 old retired millwright and am willing to learn something new. At my age it's pretty slow learning, though, chuckle. Not like half a century ago. Once you understand something, it's simple .I ,then, can follow a schematic . I know single phase motors work start with starting windings and have run windings . BTW computers are not on my list of skill sets, so I'll just have to list the input wire colours and pins with their motor wire numbers on the junction box six pin block.

top row
white- #6
yellow-#1
----- #5#3#2 connected together
bottom row
red-#4
not used
black- no number

What do these wire number go to?

There is a circuit breaker. These were on the inside of the lid.

The previous owner had a light switch hooked up, as I said, it was mickey mouse. I used the drum switch as on/off and followed his wiring. She has almost paid for herself. But it's time to fix the electrical problem and some more of the mechanical issues. I think it had been CNCed before he got it. He was a cabinetmaker and used it on some design run.

Last edited:
Sounds like the motor is configured for 220 volts already-
Usually then, 1 and 4 are the power and 6 is the reversing wire which connects to either 1 or 4 for the two rotational directions
I can't really advise you any further without knowing more about the specific drum switch- model # would help
If you can post pictures of your electrical hardware (or find someone who can) it would be very helpful
-Mark

Last edited:
The drum switch is a SquareD # 2601 AG2 .

When we upped the house service from 100amp to 200amp for central air,, I had them add a couple more 220 circuits . Thanks to a Keith Rucker video I have an idea on how to wire in the mag starter, E-stop, power on and power on light. This is a case undoing someone else mistakes, so I redid the pin connection wires according to the cover diagram.

OK it looks like the drum switch you have is a bit more awkward to use but we can run what you brung
Check the contact arrangement matches the lower style in this picture:
Drumstyles1.jpeg
If so then this connection should work: (move motor wire 6 from drum 4 to drum 1 to invert F/R rotation if required)
240VmillX1T.jpeg
Be sure your equipment is well grounded

Last edited:
Thank you, Mark, I really appreciate it. The bottom chopstick style matches. Which line would the motor circuit breaker go on ? It's honestly exciting.

Ray

Back