Unusual corkscrew

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

Almost 35 years ago I had to make a piece in order to gain access to the students' workshop in the university; I was given the plans for this unusual corkscrew.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

It was made from round brass stock and the screw itself was a purchased part brazed to the main body.
I made some use of the workshop, afterwards, but since then I've hardly done any machining at all; this is until a few months ago, of course.

José

IMG_0264.jpg IMG_0263.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
author=November X-ray link=topic=3452.msg24818#msg24818 date=1315407229
What is the screw portion made from?

I guess it must be stainless, because it is non-magnetic and it did not rust in 35 years. I don't know if it is feasible to braze SS to brass but I remember the shop manager saying that it was silver solder that was used and it was fused with a blow torch.

José

Last edited by a moderator:
yes you can silver solder stainless steel, I think I have a new project to build but I believe I will stick the SS rod thru the brass head first and then try to make the twist in it afterwards. This way I can use a hydraulic press to squeeze the brass and the SS together then turn round again on the lathe, or thread the rod and use locktite.

Thanks for the picture and the ideas!!!

Back