Update Suggestion - Bluetooth Selection for Different Configurations

Capo.

Registered
Registered
@ycroosh

I have been working with two TDRO installations, using one tablet for the display and I'd like to offer some feedback and ask for an enhancement or info on how to do it right if I'm not doing so.

What I am speaking about is re-connection with the scale adapter associated with a machine (configuration) when I switch. Currently, upon changing configurations (e.g. mill to lathe) I pick the config from the TDRO menu but I then have to fiddle with the BT address selector (BT icon in the upper right corner of the screen) to change scale adapters. Usually it means trying more than once to get an adapter to respond. It would be convenient to have the BT address pre-selected by the config so it just connects to the right adapter when the config choice is made. It could remain selectable manually as well if needed.

Am I also correct that I cannot re-name the scale adapter within TDRO so that I don't have to remember the BT address code in order to choose the right adapter? I can re-name it under Settings/Connected Devices but the name does not pass through to TDRO and I'm drawing a blank for changing it within the app.

Thanks!

D :cool:

@ycroosh

I have been working with two TDRO installations, using one tablet for the display and I'd like to offer some feedback and ask for an enhancement or info on how to do it right if I'm not doing so.

What I am speaking about is re-connection with the scale adapter associated with a machine (configuration) when I switch. Currently, upon changing configurations (e.g. mill to lathe) I pick the config from the TDRO menu but I then have to fiddle with the BT address selector (BT icon in the upper right corner of the screen) to change scale adapters. Usually it means trying more than once to get an adapter to respond. It would be convenient to have the BT address pre-selected by the config so it just connects to the right adapter when the config choice is made. It could remain selectable manually as well if needed.

Am I also correct that I cannot re-name the scale adapter within TDRO so that I don't have to remember the BT address code in order to choose the right adapter? I can re-name it under Settings/Connected Devices but the name does not pass through to TDRO and I'm drawing a blank for changing it within the app.

Thanks!

D :cool:

Hi,
TouchDRO will restore the previous connection state when you switch to a configuration. I.e. if TouchDRO was connected to device "A" in configuration "X" when you switched to configuration "Y", it will re-connect to device "A" when you switch back to configuration "X". This works on all of my devices (and I've been using this functionality in my shop for a long time). Do you disconnect before switching, by a chance?

That said. when you rename the device, this creates an "Alias". This is not a public API. Some device manufacturers add this, but it's not a guaranteed behavior. I added support for this for two known methods, and it seems to work on Samsung and Lenovo (this will be out in the next built, since I just finished testing it, and today's build is already out.

Regards
Yuriy

Hi Yuriy

I'm using a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen tablet with Android V12. TDRO 3.23.04. I'll contact you off line regarding TDRO the version.

What I'm experiencing seems to be inconsistent and I may need to gather more data for clarity. Last evening I checked back & forth between my two machines/configs - mill to lathe to mill to lathe. When I switch Configs the BT seems to stop looking for a device connection (icon steady white) and I have to tell it (via the icon in the upper right) which device to look for. It found the devices first try once I selected the BT device. I had presumed that this was the intended performance.

What I found in some other previous cases was I could not make the BT connect to the device associated with the config selection via the BT device selection icon, even going back & forth between my two scale adapters. After hunting BT for a period, the display does turn green for a few seconds but is not responsive and then greys out again and reports: "TDRO stopped receiving position data from the scale adapter". I was eventually able to connect by re-booting the scale adapter and they were found immediately upon selection. This typically would occur after several days of inactivity, I think it was actually weeks this time. For last evening's test I had used TDRO on both machines within the last couple/three days.

Performance over a time period is where I would need to gather more data for better clarity. Is there something time based that would make them forget each other, like a connection going stale?

UPDATE: Just tried again and when I returned to the lathe selection BT did not connect and reported: "TDRO stopped receiving position data from the scale adapter". Repeated test: Still connects to the mill but not the lathe.

The two scale adapters are positioned far enough apart that they cannot both be "seen" by the tablet at once.

I do not disconnect the BT connection or scale adapter device power when changing Configs.

If I understand correctly, you're saying that in an upcoming build the scale adapter BT device names which are user customized in the Android Connected Devices menu will now pass through to the selection menu accessed by the BT icon in TDRO making the correct adapter more apparent? That will be a nice addition!

Thanks,

Capo :cool:

Back