Upgrade offer from Alibre

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I received an upgrade offer from Alibre today. 40% off an upgrade From Atom 3D to Design Professional bringing the price down from $800 to $480.
Kinda tempted but not sure it's worth it.

I received an upgrade offer from Alibre today. 40% off an upgrade From Atom 3D to Design Professional bringing the price down from $800 to $480.
Kinda tempted but not sure it's worth it.

It depends on your use frequency, i think. If you use in once or twice a month for a few hours, then it probably isn't worth it. it has lot's of little timesavers and makes quite a bit of things easier.

For me, I average about 15 to 20 hours per week using it. So for me 480$ would be a great price.

Another thing to keep in mind is the price of maintenance. If you want to keep your maintenance active, the annual fee is alot more with Pro than it is with Atom.

$480 will get you almost 5 years of SolidWorks if you're not already committed to Alibre.

$480 will get you almost 5 years of SolidWorks if you're not already committed to Alibre.

It might get you 5 years of 3DExperience. While 3dExperience is a Solidworks product, it's isn't the same thing.

Alibre's price is for a perpetual license.

Or, is there a new program out from Dassault, like the old Experimental Aircraft Assn deal?. From what I can find searching, Solidworks standard is still about $4000 per year, and $1300 annually for maintenance.

Last edited:
It depends on your use frequency, i think. If you use in once or twice a month for a few hours, then it probably isn't worth it. it has lot's of little timesavers and makes quite a bit of things easier.

For me, I average about 15 to 20 hours per week using it. So for me 480$ would be a great price.

Another thing to keep in mind is the price of maintenance. If you want to keep your maintenance active, the annual fee is alot more with Pro than it is with Atom.
Thanks Ken, $480 USD translates to $645 CDN so it's still a pretty steep price.
I'm definitely not using it a lot maybe a couple of hours a week, 10 at the most.
Appreciate the maintenance tip. I hadn't considered that.

Thanks Ken, $480 USD translates to $645 CDN so it's still a pretty steep price.
I'm definitely not using it a lot maybe a couple of hours a week, 10 at the most.
Appreciate the maintenance tip. I hadn't considered that.

Tried any rendering yet?

When I used Atom, I used Simlab Composer for rendering images. Simlab Composer comes with a ton of features that you'll never use, but its basic rendering is quite useful.

Just download the free trial version of Simlab composer, once the 30 day trial runs out , it will limit all the fancy stuff you were never going to use anyway, and the rendering part of it will work perpetually.

Tried any rendering yet?

When I used Atom, I used Simlab Composer for rendering images. Simlab Composer comes with a ton of features that you'll never use, but its basic rendering is quite useful.

Just download the free trial version of Simlab composer, once the 30 day trial runs out , it will limit all the fancy stuff you were never going to use anyway, and the rendering part of it will work perpetually.
I haven't but I'm interested in trying that. Thanks for the tip!

Back