Upgrading My PM 1236-T Lathe

Wiilly it’s looking great. I’m enjoying watching you suffer through this. Takes me back to earlier times.

It's always a TON of work. This isn't my first rodeo... I knew it going in. And while I get frustrated at the lack of progress (which for me causes me to not want to work on it even more) I still ultimately find the journey satisfying! I hate painting and yet I seem to do it to every machine I buy. But now... onto the fun stuff! I'm excited to fabricate all these crazy mounting brackets

1E10950B-2849-4B92-AC39-E2F0360F1646.jpeg

Keep this in mind. You will, as I do now, look back on these projects with pride, a sense of something done right, and a demonstration of your integrity in the tasks you take on. Even though few people will laud, or even recognize your accomplishments in these pursuits, you have the gratification of knowing you gave it your all. I commend you.

Let me know when you’d like to dump the Norton gearbox for an electronic feed and threading upgrade, or start the CNC conversion. Example:
Have you considered a self-aligning bed/tailstock mechanism?

Since I do a LOT of dog training for performance and competition, that saying about journey/destination is well established in my psyche! It's such an important lesson, actually. I am following that leadscrew series with great interest! I discovered that channel not too long ago and I think I've binge watched all of his videos; they are fantastic!

When you say self-aligning bed/tailstock mechanism, are you referring to a lathe mounting/leveling system? That would be a no for me because I plan on mounting it to a 1.5" thick hard maple top. This will end up being a PITA no doubt, but I'll have to use shims under the feet for leveling. As it is, the lathe is already going to be ridiculously high (maybe too high- cross fingers) and there is zero room for putting something else under it.

That sounds interesting... I’d love to see some photos.

...I plan on mounting it to a 1.5" thick hard maple top....but I'll have to use shims under the feet for leveling. As it is, the lathe is already going to be ridiculously high (maybe too high- cross fingers)...

Let me know when you’d like to dump the Norton gearbox for an electronic feed and threading upgrade...

As an electrical engineer, I have a tainted view of additional electrical complexity. Why would you want an electronic lead screw when there’s a perfectly good non-temperamental non-electronic solution.
(written in jest with tongue in cheek. I like the challenge of this idea and think that soon elctronic lead screws will be far more commonplace, like variable speed drives are becoming)
(but I still don’t trust electronic complexity...LOL)

Slow going (as usual) but I have gotten the lathe mostly cleaned up and ready for paint stripping and paint. The threading lead screw was easy to get out, but I haven't quite figured out how to get the power feed and on/off shafts out of the apron yet.
View attachment 293708

View attachment 293709
Hi - thanks for this detailed documentation! it helps so much to see this lathe torn apart.

I received my PM-1236T this week and have moved into our kitchen (and of course - it happens to arrive on our anniversary!), on its way to the basement. Now that I see it in person (um... its bigger than it looks on the internet) I'm quite worried about taking it down the steps - via any method - including hiring movers. I have already taken off the motor, the tailstock, backsplash and cross-slide, drained the headstock.

It sounds like the cost-benefit of weight reduction is not worth the time of realigning when it comes to removing the headstock - and I can see you didn't take that step.

I'd like to lighten it more - and protect the lead screw and drive bars - so I was considering removing the gearbox and carriage/apron - ideally in as few pieces as possible.

For instance, would it be possible to remove the gearbox, the carriage/apron and the tail-end shaft block all in one go rather than in pieces? What would you recommend?

Is the alignment of these parts critical when reassembling?

Willy, it's been a long time since you posted about this. What's going on?

Back