[How do I?] Use the shars 8” machinists level

Er, no. When you are leveling your lathe, it should be in the direct center. Otherwise, it isn't level. If you wish to calibrate your level, use the above instructions.

So even though the bubble is not in the direct center of the level, all I have to do is have it in the same position when I zeroed it and then I will know that my lathe bed is a true horizontal?

What you are really after is making sure the lathe bed isn't twisted. If the level reads the same position at both ends of the bed even if not centered then you know it is straight, even if it isn't actually level. Straight and level is ideal, but straight is the more important aspect.

These machinist levels are super sensitive, so when it shows that it is "way off" level it is still really close to level. If it wasn't very close already you wouldn't even be able to use it. I have a digital level which when it reads a perfect level, the machinist level was well off towards one end.

I guess my question is how do I know that I have a completely level true surface as a reference point so when the bubble goes to the center I have a true horizontal surface? I was just trying to get my head around this I’m sorry if it appears to be a stupid question

Chiroone, in order to use a precision level it must be calibrated so that when whatever surface the level is sitting on is level, the bubble is in the center. Period. Read the document I attached above and it should make it clear on how to check and calibrate the level so that the level reads correctly. If, after reading it, things are still not clear then let's discuss it until it is clear.

Back