Used End Mills

mf294-4

Active User
Registered
I was at a flea market and a person had end mills for $5 apiece. Most were 3/4 and larger. Most needed sharpening some larger ones were new. I would have to get larger colletts. Can I get them sharpened and would it be worth it?

I see at the FM from HSS, cobalt to carbide, up to maybe ¾” in useable to new and USA, from 1$ to about 5$ each. Not every visit mind you, but it does happen. Hang in there, it will be your turn soon…Dave.

If you were closer, I'd be willing to sharpen the ends for sizes between 3/8" and 1" for a very friendly price. HSS and Cobalt only, no carbide (too messy).

Matt

Its cheaper and quicker to buy quality cutters on eBay than it is to have them sharpened.

I do my own, but its a hobby. HSS is easy to sharpen with a T&C grinder.

I've been able to buy new (or slightly used) bunches, (10 to 30) for under $2:00 ea, but these were under 3/8 OD.

Usually give a buck a piece for 1/2" and under. If more usually walk away.

Sharpening end mills of those sizes aren't cheap. Prices vary depending on size, number 0f flutes, condition, and whether or not they're center cutting. Most companies charge $15.00 and up for the 3/4" and larger sizes. You can call this company to get a price sheet. They do excellent work.

http://thompsongrind.com/

As previously mentioned in most cases it'll be cheaper to buy ones that don't need sharpening.

That's pretty expensive for used ones that need to be sharpened or maybe I'm just cheap. But I usually pay 1$ or 2 for useable ones. Iv even gotten indexable carbide mills for less then 5$ but that's pretty rare.

I dont think its worth it for you to pay 5 bucks for a dull hs endmill. Make some inquiries at local scrap yards sometimes they get some good tooling that gets scrapped. I was buying carbide endmills for 2.50 a pound over the market price some were brand new in the tubes.

Back