Using a tachometer on a PM-1640TL Lathe

The Oracle

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just received a Precision Matthews PM-1640TL and would like to use the tachometer function within touchDRO and would really appreciate any pointers for those of you that are running a tachometer on your lathe

i'd be interested in how this is done as well.
Thanks, Joe

i'd be interested in how this is done as well.
Thanks, Joe
Joe,

This is the Hall sensor 49E magnetic field detector that has been suggested on this form. Unfortunately it’s not very industrial. I could see this getting ruined in the first long run.

I really would like something more industrial for my install

Attachments

• IMG_3213.jpeg
    IMG_3213.jpeg
    806.4 KB · Views: 42
Joe,

This is the Hall sensor 49E magnetic field detector that has been suggested on this form. Unfortunately it’s not very industrial. I could see this getting ruined in the first long run.

I really would like something more industrial for my install
Ruined as in smashed or oily/wet?

Smashed? Make a housing.

Wet? Comformal coating.

i'm not actually the OP, i was just interested in how to do it too

Ruined as in smashed or oily/wet?

Smashed? Make a housing.

Wet? Comformal coating.
If I was running a clubhouse all those are great suggestions however, I'm not. Looking at the hall effect position sensors with sealed housing the 103SR series from Honeywell.

Lynn M.

I have a tach on mine but it is not connected to the dro.
Are you wanting to see how it is mounted or are you asking about the connection to your dro?

I have a Ditron D80 that comes with a tachometer, but no help in installation advise. I turned a couple of rulon (sort of like delrin I suppose) rings to fit on the spindle, one with two small holes that the tiny magnets fit in, and another slightly larger ring that covers the magnets and holds them in. No glue, etc. The collet closer still works as normal. Here's what it looks like:

IMG_2714.jpeg

I have a tach on mine but it is not connected to the dro.
Are you wanting to see how it is mounted or are you asking about the connection to your dro?
I’m looking for what sensors folks are using with the TouchDRO and how they’re mounting the sensors.

Back