Using mist coolant

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Question, when using a mist coolant like the NOGA unit, etc. on a mill or lathe, how big an issue is possible corrosion? Is it something you have to really work hard to avoid, or will a good cleaning/oiling after use be enough to protect your machine, vise, etc.? Thanks

Mixed properly you should not have an issue. Most coolants have rust inhibitors.

My only comment is, that you will get staining under your vise.. so coat with oil and take it off every once in a while and re-oil.
Also something I need to do and haven't yet, is make a cover for my felts on my carriage. I don't want the buildup of mist in the felts, it's ok on the ways, but I think filling the felts from the topside, is not as good.

Good to know. That was what I was wondering about whether it could cause issues under the vise. Thanks for the info

Issue for me was sore throat and itchy eyes. Went to a henchforth type pressure mister and this problem solved. I built one, as have many others.

I don't run it full balls to the wall. I have it set so it spits , I don't find a need for a heavy mist, I am always impressed with how cool everything is vs oil. Don't get me wrong I use oil. I don't form cut with mist. I flood oil on, I thread with oil.
I rough with mist because it doesn't get hot. I finish w/ mist too, but sometimes I am not in the mood for a cleanup. When done I wipe things down, and give a coat of wd40 then oil.
yes, there are inhibitors, but I'm kind of anal about keeping it from rust.

I don't think mists are corrosive per se (because of inhibitors), but if you have mist overspray on your vise and table and walk away from it, it will leave a stain. I still consider it non-corrosive, just not non-staining exactly. It takes minimal effort to wipe down. Some people put their vise on a sheet of paper to somehow avoid stains. I don't mind splash stains on the lathe or drill press, but the mill gets wiped meticulously.

Back