Vactra 2 or ISO HM68 for the ways, what type oil for the part or the steady rest?

73Electraglide

Registered
Registered
Hello guys.
New to the forum, I recently ordered and received a hobby lathe/mill from Grizzly.
I've searched the archives on oil use however I haven't found an answer to my question.
I have Vactra 2 oil that I use on the ways and machine in general, NLGI #2 on gears.
Do I use the same 'way' oil on the part, the steady rest, etc. or some other type oil?
Thanks in advance.

Way oil is good for the steady rest fingers, it's clingy so it works well. For cutting, you're better served with a cutting oil, it leaves a better finish and *usually* makes a lot less smoke. A common one is sulfur threading oil, that stuff finishes great but makes a lot of smoke on the faster cutting processes seen on the lathe. Specialized cutting oils like Mobilmet are very low smoke. To aid the finish and help hit your dimensional targets, oil is recommended, so you will find people claim success with anything from bacon grease to peanut oil, and there's some truth in that. I prefer to stick with things that are made for tapping, drilling, and cutting as indicated on the can.

Edit- By the way, welcome to the forum.

On the steady rest, I use CMD EP grease, or center lubricant, it comes in a tube, I think I got it from McMaster Carr.

On the steady rest, I use CMD EP grease, or center lubricant, it comes in a tube, I think I got it from McMaster Carr.

No white lead? Just kidding... John, does the grease pick up chips at all when used on the steady? I use EP on the center because it's usually a closed interface so it doesn't.

Yes, the center lube does pick up chips, like any grease like lube, and yes, we did use white lead on steady rest jaws, and liberally at that. I got the center lube for cylindrical grinder centers mainly, but also for steady rest jaws, white lead is a bit too messy for me nowadays. I seldom use a solid center for lathe work.

Back