Vactra Vs Dte Heavy Medium Oil

dlane

Active User
Registered
What is the difference, the guy I got my mill from said to use vactra heavy medium
Will Dte heavy medium be ok for the one shot oiler system
I've been useing Mobil 10 spindle oil in spindle and quil cup is that rite ?.
Thanks

Dlane,

I think that a heavy medium oil is a hydraulic oil to be used in your spindle. Since you mentioned a 1-shot oilier system I am assuming that you need to lube your ways or table etc. Your Vactra is a way oil that has components to help keep the lube on the ways. I use Mobile No.2 way oil in the one shot lubber on my mill. I buy it from Enco for around $18/gallon with a % off and free shipping.
Be cautious, the names were kept the same but the oil was changed for a lot of these oils. At one time, I believe it was OK to use Vactra in the spindle. I'll probably be corrected, but I don't think that today's Vactra is made for that application.

Mike

Hi Derrick. DTE is for gear boxes. Vactra is for ways. My 13x40 lathe calls for Vactra #2 in the apron, but I think that is because some of the gears and shafts are completely above the static oil level and maybe they think Vactra will keep them coated with oil better when not in use. (?)

So is Mobil 10 spindle oil not good for mill spindle , it's what I'm useing in SB 10L spindle
it's a supermax 1-1/2 BP clone
Is the Dte heavy medium different than vactra heavy medium? .
Edit: I was typing when you posted Bob, so they are different, thanks.
I have way oil should that go in the one shot ?
When I asked what oils he used he said vactra Heavy medium, didn't say spindle / quil oil type
I don't see that Enco caries vactra oils

Last edited:
Enco has the DTE as well. When they have free shipping combined with 20-25% off, it is a very good deal, and it arrives quickly.

SAE 10 is approximately equivalent to ISO 32. Those are the viscosity, or "weight" of the oil in Imperial and Metric versions. Those numbers only show how fast the oil flows through a specific size orifice at a specific temperature. They say nothing about what the oil is meant to be used for or what kind of additive package it has. Most of our machining equipment, especially older stuff, is not that sophisticated and does not need "cutting edge" lubricants. Keeping things clean and wet with any oil beats leaving things dry, rusty, and gritty for sure. When in doubt, oil it with something...

Some high speed CNC machines and certain grinders have very specific needs, and will die very young if they are not serviced regularly with the correct lubricants. There are also probably some I missed. RTFM!

Back