Vertex 6" Rotary Table Scale

I have a 10" Vertex and am Very satisfied with it. Whats the option????????
I'm happy with my 6" Vertex RT with a 8" fixture plate. Suits my needs for now.

What does your question refer to? Who is the question addressed to, the OP, or @Damn Yankee or me?

I'm happy with my 6" Vertex RT with a 8" fixture plate. Suits my needs for now.

What does your question refer to? Who is the question addressed to, the OP, or @Damn Yankee or me?
It refers to anyone. All I implied was there's not much of a choice today for R/Ts or anything shop related that is not made in china. Unless of course you want to spend 2 to 3 times more for a used R/T, mill, lath, plus shipping or most anything these days made 30-40 years ago in America. As hobbyists it still comes down to cost. Thanks.

It refers to anyone. All I implied was there's not much of a choice today for R/Ts or anything shop related that is not made in china. Unless of course you want to spend 2 to 3 times more for a used R/T, mill, lath, plus shipping or most anything these days made 30-40 years ago in America. As hobbyists it still comes down to cost. Thanks.
Think the Vertex is made in Taiwan, ROC, not the PRC. The decline in US machine tool manufacturing occurred for many reasons, but that is not a discussion for this thread. Alas, there are precious few good choices these days. Wish that weren't the case.

But yes, as hobbyists, we are usually restricted cost wise. I went out of my way to get a Vertex, simply because of all the reviews that is was better made. Paid a premium for the Vertex over the generic not quite as well made copies.

Think the Vertex is made in Taiwan, ROC, not the PRC. The decline in US machine tool manufacturing occurred for many reasons, but that is not a discussion for this thread. Alas, there are precious few good choices these days. Wish that weren't the case.

But yes, as hobbyists, we are usually restricted cost wise. I went out of my way to get a Vertex, simply because of all the reviews that is was better made. Paid a premium for the Vertex over the generic not quite as well made copies.
I also purchased my 10" Vertex rotary table (Taiwan) for the same reason as you. I am completely satisfied with my choice. Taiwanese products are of higher quality. I wish I would have gone for the 12" at that time. Thanks for the reply

My Vertex HV-6" is smooth working. 1 turn of my RT handle moves the table 4 degrees. I just checked it. My Vertex is well made and machined. If it matters, Vertex is manufactured in Taiwan. Penn Tools has a link to Vertex Machinery. https://www.penntoolco.com/vertex-machinery-and-tools/ Penn Tools seems to think they are pretty decent.

Yours may need adjustment, cleaning and disassembly or replacement. Vevor is not exactly known as a top quality supplier. I know, I have a Vevor piece of equipment. Mine has every possible cost reduction possible in it. It works, but is not refined or smooth in any way.
One thing to point out that might have been missed by others:

Vertex _IS_ a half-decent import brand, at least as good as you can get without paying 10x the price.

You also mention Vevor, which is the opposite end of the scale. They sell tool-shaped-kits. I just got their 3 ton arbor press for shockingly little money, and it is very clearly "works, but only barely" territory. I wouldn't buy anything precision from them.

One thing to point out that might have been missed by others:

Vertex _IS_ a half-decent import brand, at least as good as you can get without paying 10x the price.

You also mention Vevor, which is the opposite end of the scale. They sell tool-shaped-kits. I just got their 3 ton arbor press for shockingly little money, and it is very clearly "works, but only barely" territory. I wouldn't buy anything precision from them.
tool shaped kits. Thats a classic description. Love it

This is my 6” RT, badged CME.
I always figured it was a Vertex, but now think it’s a Vevor, as the degree pointers are in different locations.
It is a 90:1 table.
The degree pointer was riveted on, so when I disassembled it to clean it I drilled & tapped it & made an adjustable pointer so I could line the table up perpendicular or horizontal (it’s a 4 slot table) when Zeros all align & RT is square to mill table, not necessary I know, but I’m kinda anal like that.
And Damn Yankee, when I tried to adjust all of the backlash out of it the table, it became very hard to turn.
so I leave a wee bit of backlash in it, I always turn the table the same way & it’s very smooth.
I have no idea where it was made? I think I know where it wasn’t made. :)
Cheers

Attachments

• 79574443-FF14-491C-8F76-90D4E1BBEB0C.jpeg
    79574443-FF14-491C-8F76-90D4E1BBEB0C.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 8
But we keep buying the crap...

John

Price of 8" Phase II table: $817.64 (Travers Tool)

Price of Bison (not even American): $4310.00 with shipping (Smalltools.com)

If Americans still make manual rotary tables, I can't find them online. Yuasa tables are available, but they aren't made in Japan. They make tools in China and Taiwan.

I don't think we should feel bad about buying Asian (I typed on my computer made from all-Asian parts). No amateur with any brains is going to pay $4000+ for a small rotary table, and waiting around for good used ones is not a viable option unless you live in the Rust Belt. You can either wait for used tool deals to drop magically from the sky while old age takes your eyesight, mind, back, and knees, or you can buy Asian tools and enjoy life now. An Asian lathe I can use today is better than a new old stock Monarch I have to use from a wheelchair while breathing from an oxygen tank. I have three Asian tables, and they all work fine.

Might as well add that I'm a Harbor Freight Inside Track member, the last vehicle I bought was a Toyota, and I plan to stick with Toyota from now on. "Pearl Harbor"? Doesn't ring a bell.

Back