Vertical Milling Attachment ID

NilesRock

Registered
Registered
Does anyone recognize who is the manufacture of the attachment in the photos? I haven't been able to find any manufacture markings on it other than the gears. I called Boston Gear and they only made the gears and wouldn't know who made the attachment.

The attachment is on a Diamond horizontal milling machine that can be found in the SPECIFIC MANUFACTURERS OF MACHINE TOOLS Forum. The thread is titled Diamond Victory Milling Machine.

Also, the gears can be lubricated with 80 or 90 weight gear oil or grease depending on application and speed. I'm not sure if gear oil would be a good idea as there are no gaskets on the parts. Any thoughts on which way to go with lubrication will be helpful too.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 17.JPG
    17.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    796.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
The way it is mounted and driven, I would not be surprised if it is specific to your machine, and made by Diamond.

benmychree

Yea, Diamond Tool Co making the head would make sense. There's such a small amount of information on these machines and in one Diamond sales brochure illustrating the optional vertical milling attachment it doesn't look the same . Perhaps other sales brochures will show up online eventually.

Out of curiosity, what is the spindle taper?
Is it the same as the horizontal spindle?

Choiliefan, The spindle taper for the vertical attachment is 3C. I just got back from getting some collets from someone on CL and there are some South Bend #3 collets in the mix and they seem to fit good too.

I checked the OD of the horizontal spindle and it is consistent with B&S #9 which is what it's supposed to be.

Back