Vertical Milling Machine

Bill Rosselot

Registered
Registered
small vert mill.JPG Can anyone tell me what brand this is. I think it maybe a Clausing but not sure

That's a franken-mill. the base is an Atlas horizontal mill, with a vertical head installed in the overarm bar bore. Looks like the horizontal spindle was removed, but someone cared enough to block off the spindle bore. If you can put a horizontal spindle, backgear, jackshaft, and motor mount on it, you'd have the best of both worlds. It will probably only handle light duty vertical milling, but it's a decently stout horizontal mill in its own right.

Note: it looks like a riser was added between the column and headstock as well to make more vertical room. that would have to go to use it well as a horizontal mill.

Looks to me like an Atlas Horizontal Mill with a riser block and a home brew vertical mill attached.

Thanks guys I thought that but did not know much about Horizontal mills do was not sure. It is pretty accurate but it only have a MT2 taper with drawbar, so you can't hog anything or use big cutters but from some of the parts I seen come off of it, it is pretty solid machine. I is worth 500.

Back