Vevor 7x14 Lathe 550W with HSS Cutting Tools

Best to start with HSS, especially one that a machinist friend grinds for you. In a pinch, a diamond nail file will put a sharp edge on that brazed carbide lathe tool you have there. Sharpening only, no shaping! If you have ever used a file before, you will feel that telltale cutting feeling. If you don't get it, that isn't a diamond file. Go to Harbor Freight and grab their multi pack for about $10. They have many uses. And, they're much better than a nail file which tends to have very few diamonds. But, if you are really low budget (many are), the diamond nail file will work, even one which has been discarded after being found useless for its original purpose.

Thanks very much for all the tips! So, I actually got some $ refunded back because the lathe arrived partially damaged (still functional though) and I also complained that the tools don't fit in the lathe as-is. With this money I plan to fix some or all of my problems.

My plan is to buy a cheap 6" bench grinder from HF. This will let me grind down the shanks on my too-big tools. Then I'll use it and a diamond file to sharpen and make my tools usable.

Would a quick change tool post be recommended next? Or better cutting tools? Is the only benefit to a QCTP the speed? If so, it might be last on my list.

IMHO

Next I'd go for some HSS tools, it will be much easier to get started with and you won't need to buy a special grinding wheel, files etc. Carbide has its place but it isn't necessary and harder to use shape and sharpen. HSS can be sharpened to a sharper edge than carbide and thus easier to get a better surface finish on most materials.

If you are on a budget, I wouldn't recommend a QCTP just yet, as you have a 4-way tool post and that will be fine to get you started. There is lot's more useful stuff to buy.

A good way to learn is start a project!

Enjoy

Thanks very much for all the tips! So, I actually got some $ refunded back because the lathe arrived partially damaged (still functional though) and I also complained that the tools don't fit in the lathe as-is. With this money I plan to fix some or all of my problems.

My plan is to buy a cheap 6" bench grinder from HF. This will let me grind down the shanks on my too-big tools. Then I'll use it and a diamond file to sharpen and make my tools usable.

Would a quick change tool post be recommended next? Or better cutting tools? Is the only benefit to a QCTP the speed? If so, it might be last on my list.
Rather than the grinder to grind the tool shanks, use it and $5 (https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pie...-tool-bits-for-metalworking-lathes-40641.html) to buy a piece of HSS and try that instead! There is a nice grinding thread on the forum somewhere that shows how to do it, otherwise watch some tutorials. ONLY the large one is likely to be useful to you (and likely needs to be shimmed for your tool post), but you'll be there anyway :)

I also agree with Eddyde: The tool post is probably pretty far down my list of suggestions, there is A LOT of tooling that is more important. You can make it with the one tool post you have, plus some pop-cans/other material as shims for a LONG time. The advantage to the QCTP is ease in tool-changes.

Your money is best spent on making sure you have a live-center, a tailstock drill chuck, and a way to make/sharpen bits. I'd also suggest good measuring gear (plus a magnetic-backed dial indicator is GREAT for the carriage position).

I have a 7/14 vevor lathe mine came damage free so I must have been lucky " the motor is garbage other than that it gets the job done " Think of these cheap machines as a boat without oars modifing as you go............... And get rid of that stock tool post boat anchor!!! Ive seen some decent QCTP sets for $60 - $100 .........but you cant survive with just 2 -3 T.H. you need atleast 5-6. and yes invest in a grinder with the right wheel and play with some HSS blanks way better than carbon inserts, however thats how I started out and still have some but I use the HSS tools the most for facing and turning etc.
BTW am hoping your using 6061 aluminum while learning which is a very forgiving metal to play with and useful for many small projects...........ebay sells it but you might look around in your area for scrap yards.......

One time I got a tooling set from india that I didnt use for awhile but later used as examples and grinded some nice useful HSS tools. the hobby is endless!!

Last edited:
Back