VFD for PM-935T-S

poorboy

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,

I do not have a background in machining and I am trying to learn as I go. Currently I have a PM-1340GT lathe hooked up to a rotary phase converter and so I have zero experience with VFDs. I have a 3 phase PM-935T-S on order and should receive it sometime in late December or early January and I would like to use a VFD for the mill (this way I do not have to constantly switch belts etc).

I was looking (possibly) to purchase https://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/10002-KBAC-29D-WHITE/; however I need to make sure that there aren't any issues with using that particular VFD with a PM-935T-S.

Also I am open to other suggestions for VFDs, but I am a bit worried on wiring one up (utilizing a stop switch, forward and reverse and a speed pot. Any suggestions here ?

Thanks

Adam

Most people on the PM-935 get buy with the Teco L-510 if you do not need quick braking (it does not have provisions for an external braking resistor but does have an internal circuit. They are not sealed units so need to be in an enclosure or some people mount them in the mill body behind the side access panel. They do make seale versions of the Teco E-510 w/wo a power disconnect switch built in.

Most people on the PM-935 get buy with the Teco L-510 if you do not need quick braking (it does not have provisions for an external braking resistor but does have an internal circuit. They are not sealed units so need to be in an enclosure or some people mount them in the mill body behind the side access panel. They do make seale versions of the Teco E-510 w/wo a power disconnect switch built in.

Any programming parameters that I should be aware of when setting one up for the PM-935T-S ? Also exactly what is a sensorless vector feature used for (I am not sure how -- but I am guessing that it is helpful for fine tuning motor control) ? and is it required for use on a mill ?

Sensorless vector is a feedback mechanism that the VFD uses to provide tighter motor control and speed accuracy, think of it similar to the motor being an encoder and the VFD using the electrical information to control the motor speed as well as other parameters. The Teco manuals are very readable, you need to set basic motor parameters (motor rated speed, motor base speed voltage, motor rated current) and run auto-tune which will load other motor parameters. You need to set acceleration, deceleration, maximum Hz, and how you want to control the VFD (i.e, multi-function terminals - remote start/stop/direction switch, speed adjust, etc. I can put together some parameters when you get to that point, in the interim I would read the manual.
Mark

all I can say is, I really like my Hitachi and tucked away in the column.
Power Module2.jpg
VFD Installation.jpg

Back