VFD for surface grinder

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I'm exploring my VFD options for my new surface grinder. It has a 1 hp motor.
I have 110V in the location for the grinder so I'm looking at this VFD ass compared to running a new 220v circuit.
I have a Teco for my mill and I'm familiar with it's programming.
For this application, I'm thinking that forward and speed control would be the only controls necessary?
129294714_711383139494803_384918433226810150_n.jpg

That Teco will work fine as long as it is a direct connect to the motor and there are no other motorized drives/transformer, etc. in the connection pathway. You should be able to get the Teco for around $150 US, not sure to BC Canada. You do not want to use a static converter for a surface grinder drive motor, others have reported surface issue problems when using them.

Thanks @mksj, appreciate you weighing in!
There's a coolant pump but I don't plan on using it.
I had read about the static converter issues also.

Maybe I have been living under a rock but I have never heard of a need for variable speed on surface grinders.
If that is the case then you could probably save some money by using one of those "static" phase converter boxes.

The only reason I saw for the variable speed is that the there's a variant of my grinder with variable speed.

You can find VFDs that have a special voltage doubler circuit to run 200V class motors off of 100-120VAC 1P. These are available to about 2HP if I remember correctly. The better option is to supply 200-240VAC to the drive to begin with. The VFD should do fine with the motor, although if the motor has a low class of insulation on the windings, the higher dv/dt spikes from the VFD will tend to wear the windings down faster than one rated for use with a VFD (inverter duty)

It is not as much using it for variable speed, but to generate 3 phase with full Hp. There are a number of posts where there was noticeable deterioration of surface finish using a static converter on surface grinders. That particular model of VFD has a voltage doubler built in, so runs off of 120VAC and outputs 3 phase 220 VAC. In general, insulation breakdown when using VFD's is less of an issue with motor's rated as dual voltage 220/440 and also not pushing the motor beyond it's name plate specifications. Using a lower carrier frequency in the 2-6 kHz range is also helpful, less of a problem if run at 60Hz but still can be annoying. Issues with older motors running off a VFD, is typically not a problem with infrequent use as a hobbyist. It is possible to get a dv/dt filter between the VFD and motor to decrease the spikes if one if one is concerned. They can be picked up on eBay or other sources for not much, but I wouldn't worry about it in this situation.

Back