Video: washing machine destroys itself

funny, it sounded like a top fuel dragster idling for a minute then it got ugly!!
great video!!!!

If you have owned a front loader within the last 15 years, it's pretty obvious that he's defeated all the safety interlocks to make it destroy itself.

Of course. He says he removed the concrete counterweights, and it's obvious he wired the motor directly to the power cord. Probably loosened or removed a lot of the screws holding it together, too.

I wonder if Whirlpool tests them for these during design...

I wonder if Whirlpool tests them for these during design...

I'm sure the engineers at Whirlpool are all sitting around laughting their a$$s off as we speak over this video.

I highly doubt they do extreme test like this. They only test in realistic parameters. Like over loading with clothes, throwing 10 pairs of canvas shoes in the wash, things like this. They wouldn't want to know what it is like living in a household with a machinist. Steel shavings, end mills, carbide inserts, drills, etc., stuff we carry in our pockets and forget to remove. I remember mom emptying out dad's pockets out on the washing machine. Never needed anything in the workshop at home. Go to the washer and dig thru the stuff until you found what you needed.

Before everybody starts trashing front loaders, I noticed that, for Frigidaire at least, the newer motors are three phase with a VFD. Possibly a retrofit for a small lathe?

Before everybody starts trashing front loaders, I noticed that, for Frigidaire at least, the newer motors are three phase with a VFD. Possibly a retrofit for a small lathe?

I like your thinking.....:D

All the newer front end loaders have three phase motors in them. All you have to do is pull the board and use. The only problem is the motor would stop at the end of the washing cycle and kick in the spin cycle. That might make things very excited... I don't know if the board can be reprogrammed or not. You can by VFD's that operates on 120V single phase. Not sure about the outputs voltages or what the voltage requirement is of the washing machine motor though.

I know on my wifes Whirlpool washer, it's all built into the control board that operates the motor, too. I doubt you could go in and isolate the timer.

Back