VN 12 Rebuild in Basement Shop

stobl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi Folks,

A month or so ago I picked up a disassembled VN 12 from a fellow member here who was only a few hours north. I've been looking for a horizontal on and off for a bit, saw the ad and realized I could put it to good use. Luckily until now, a neighbor let me store the trailer load in his barn, but the time has finally come to move it to it's new home.

Just as a quick background- We moved to this house a few years back, as it's next to the wife's parents. It didn't have a garage, and my only stipulation for moving here was that we build a garage. She agreed. Long story short, I still don't have one, and my heavy machinery is relegated to an old coal boiler room "basement", with 78" ceilings and a 30" wide external staircase. It's always an adventure getting the heavier stuff down, but this was by far the heaviest and most difficult.

I'll update this as I go through the machine and set it back up, but here are a few pictures from today:

I lifted the column and base with the boom tube just a hair as the tractor was struggling to lift it, and then pulled the trailer out from under it. Once i turned around, the tractor was wheelie-ing. Oops. Definitely a bit too heavy. So i had to move the attachment point closer to the tractor (where you see below) to be able to pick it upPXL_20240425_155040948.jpg

Staged and ready to go. The only entrance to the boiler room is a small cinderblock stairwell under our side porch. It was a struggle to get it as close as i could without hitting the window or running over the lady's plants.
PXL_20240425_164641320.jpg

Just so you can see what I'm working with. Here's the view from inside. (it's a mess since i have to move everything whenever moving machines)
PXL_20240425_155936619.jpg

Chain attached to joist bolts holds the chain hoist that gets it over the threshold
PXL_20240425_155940492.jpg

View up the stairs. It's tight.
PXL_20240425_155944440.jpg

Neighbor came over to help when I got stuck and couldn't figure out what to do. I wrapped the winch around the front of the tractor and pulled it tight to give us extra "Won't tip on us" insurance. In the end, I sat on the ground and wedged myself between the colum and tractor tire and pushed it all forward with my legs while the neighbor lowered it, to get it down the first few stairs. After a few stairs it was easy going.

PXL_20240425_165921112.jpg

Once down at the bottom, we used a heavy ratchet strap to hold it to the boom pole, then I moved the chain hoist to the doorway. Luckily, or unluckily, the column and base fell to the side a bit and angled towards the house, so with the chain hoist repositioned, it pulled itself right where it needed to be. The wife rarely comes down so she wont notice the damaged siding.
PXL_20240425_192328121.jpg

I can't wait until i can finally move this engine crane out of here. This is hopefully the last big machine movement i make.
PXL_20240425_192335878.jpg

The Lathe is normally next to the door, but I put it on dollies to get it out of the way. Doig that I also decided I'm going to reposition it to allow more room.

PXL_20240425_192700596.jpg

PXL_20240425_193301630.jpgPXL_20240425_194636098.jpg

And here it sits for the time being on some 4x4s. It'll get a good cleaning, strip and paint with rustoleum (No body filler) before being assembled over the next couple weeks. I intend to use the machine so it'll be more of a "Resto-mod" with some modern upgrades, than a period correct piece. It'll be placed somewhere around the well tank depending on how it fits. The old handmiller behind it unfortunately is getting pulled out & sold since i'm tight on space. I just picked it up in January and was starting to strip it and do a nice restoration when the VN came available. Maybe i'll just coat it in DIY cosmoline and keep it in one of the sheds for when the garage is actually built. It's in quite nice condition.
PXL_20240425_200523424.jpg

More updates to come tomorrow as i move the rest of the Mill down into the dungeon.

Blake

Attachments

• PXL_20240425_155246675.jpg
    PXL_20240425_155246675.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Glad you got it home and helped Tom out also . Great guy . Is he back in town ?

Keep an eye on your dog- he's eyeing the machine just a little too fondly :)

Glad you got it home and helped Tom out also . Great guy . Is he back in town ?
I'm not sure if Tom's back, but luckily he found one of the gibs for the machine while he was finishing cleaning. That would have been an unfortunate realization when putting it back together.

I gave the column a heavy spraying of straight purple power before I closed up last night and all the grease and oil came streaming off. I tapped on the paint with a screwdriver and it flaked off like it was held on with Elmer's glue. The body filler seems almost 1/4" thick in places and barely holding on. The needle scaler should make fast work of taking that off. Hopefully Sunday I can give it a good couple hours of time and get everything stripped. Not sure what color i'm going to paint it yet. Was thinking maybe a dark blue? I know its sacreligious to many, but I like a little color on the machines vs the usual black or gray.

The ways still have what I think is the original flaking. Some wear but nothing the calibrated post-beer eyemeter could see. I'm just getting off work now and have to do some quick running around, but ill get everything else off the trailer and in the basement in the next few hours.

That was quite the squeeze going thru the door!

Glad you moved that big old base down there without injury.

I'm interested in seeing what it takes to get that overarm bar loose. Keep us posted.

TomKro

Took over night of soaking but the overarm is moving.

1000016853.jpg

Heavy/big propane torch heating of the casting, heavy spray of homemade Ed's Red with lanolin. Repeated 3 times yesterday afternoon/evening. Fill the clamp holes with it and let it sit over night. As you can see I have it leaning vertically to encourage the Ed's red to seep down. Using medium wacks from the lead hammer to give it some rust -breaking shocks and it moved an inch and a quarter in about 10 min. The lead hammer is heavily mushrooming, but that's why I used it. There was maybe 10 good wacks between the 1.0 and 1.25" pictures.

1000016851.jpg

1000016852.jpg

Slowly getting there. Should be able to get it out today if I don't get sidetracked with home projects. Now that I know it's moving I'll give it a good scotchpad rubdown to knock down any bulging rust and help it slide through.

If you guys don't keep a batch of Ed's red handy, you don't know what you're missing. I make it in 5 gallon batches that last me a couple years. I just mix it up before refilling my smaller containers.

Last edited:
Congrats on getting the overarm moving.

I think I filled those lock holes with penetrating oil 4 or 5 times. Good idea using that big old lead hammer.

TomKro

Congrats on getting the overarm moving.

I think I filled those lock holes with penetrating oil 4 or 5 times. Good idea using that big old lead hammer.

TomKro
Oh yeah- whatever you did to it certainly helped. I think i just got lucky with the last 10% it needed to pop the bonds. Didn't get a chance to have another go at it yesterday. We'll see how this afternoon fairs.

Last edited:
Success! From the look of the rust, that entire section inside the casting was rusted. I'll have to chuck it on the lathe and give it a good polish, followed by lapping the bar and casting to get a bit more clearance. First it'll get a deep clean and a soak in evaporust. There's a few things I'm tossing around to make sure it doesn't rust in place again (caustic bluing, oil bluing/"seasoning", ceramic coating, etc)

1000016911.jpg1000016915.jpg1000016912.jpg1000016914.jpg1000016913.jpg

Best rust preventative is using it often, with proper lubrication. I'd be wary of trying to increase clearance, might be too much already once the rust is removed. Easy to take it off, a bit^* to put it back on....

JMHO

John

Back